OC Athlon II X4 620 Propus

Spazzy67

Hi Guys!

I recently OC my new quad to see what bang I could get for my dollar after reading some reviews on the new Athlon 620! My first adj was to 3.25Ghz at stock voltage & w stock cooler posting temps @ 31 deg C with no load! I ran Prime95 Torchure test for 12hrs with no errors. I ran OCCT and it shows 25% OC w temps of all cores at 30.5*C (code name RANA)??

After bumping to 3.35Ghz I was able to POST but ran P95 w errors.

Should I be adjusting my HT or NB speeds since they are on AUTO, or should I adjust my voltage ???? What do I tweak first after I hit a wall with the CPU speed?? Does my memory need to be tweaked???

Here is my validated POST!! http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=798814

Any suggestions would be appreciated!! I just want to find that sweet spot for my system.

Thanks!

Paul B:)

Edited by Spazzy67

Nice job. I have mine running at 3.51GHz and stable. Voltage I had to bring up to 1.475 and CPU temps never go above 50C.

I adjust my NB and HTT so that they were as close to stock as possible (2000MHz) as well as the memory multiplier. My memory runs a 900MHz instead of 800MHz and is stable at the stock timings (4-4-4-12).

I would recommend tweaking a bit and keeping your NB and HTT close to stock so you do not run into stability issues.

See my sig for confirmed settings.

Nice job. I have mine running at 3.51GHz and stable. Voltage I had to bring up to 1.475 and CPU temps never go above 50C.

I adjust my NB and HTT so that they were as close to stock as possible (2000MHz) as well as the memory multiplier. My memory runs a 900MHz instead of 800MHz and is stable at the stock timings (4-4-4-12).

I would recommend tweaking a bit and keeping your NB and HTT close to stock so you do not run into stability issues.

See my sig for confirmed settings.

I will do that. If I lower my HT & NT speeds won't it cause a bottleneck?? Does it work against the increased CPU speed?

MEMORY- Why are my stock timings for my memory 9-9-9-24? Does that mean its much slower. Should I consider OC my memory?

GRAPHICS: How does your quad run your 4770 graphics card. I was considering picking up a 4850 or 4870! How are your benchmarks?

Thanks!

I no longer have the 4770, I just replaced it with a 5770 in that computer. I find it to run fine, once I installed the appropriate drivers and tweaked it a bit.

Your stock memory timings are fine, they are DDR3 not DDR2 like mine.

Bringing down the multiplier may eventually cause a bottleneck yes, but raising the HTT or NB anything above stock usually causes a freaking out with particular generation of CPUs. I have received the best results by keeping both under the 2100MHz mark.

You are already OCing your memory, unless you have changed the multiplier. Every time you adjust your FSB you are affecting the CPU, NB, HTT and your memory speeds. Be very careful to watch your memory, you can OC but it greatly depends on the sticks as well as voltages etc. Loosening the timings a bit may help if you plan OC the memory, but at this point I would not recommend it as I do not see it before that great of an advantage.

I raised the SB & NB voltage and I am stable @ 3.7Ghz!

I ordered the following aftermarket HSF:

Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835207004

I already have some Artic Silver 5 for the application. I will let you know when I have it installed!

Here is my current post. Waiting for my aftermarket HSF to get those temps down. I am posting and running stable @ 3.7Ghz with idle temps @ 36*C. Under load they are getting over 60*, So I will wait for my Core-Contact Freezer before I go any further!!!

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=806800

Edited by Spazzy67

That is the highest clocked Athlon II X4 620 I have ever seen ... especially on stock cooling.

I have the same board as you, only the DDR2 version, and I was never able to see anything over 3.6GHz.

I would be very surprised if you aren't seeing any errors or running into temperatures issues. Care to take a screen shot of your OCCT or Prime95 log?

I did have some errors on Prime under 100% load and my temps were in the 63-64* range, so I backed it off to 3.5Ghz until IU get my cooler!! I was able to post & process at normal loads. I also brought my NB/SB back to normal. Someone advised a bump up on those when I wasnt posting earlier, then I was advised to keep the HT & NB freq as close to 2000mhz as possible. At the time I didnt realize I could adj the multipliers lower.

I will run some more testing once I get my HSF. Its on the way!!!!

Don't be disappointed if you still cant get above where you are. I have a very good HSF setup and great circulation ... and I am not able to get over 3.5GHz without errors etc. under full load.

I installed my new Contact Cooler and what a difference in temps!!! I can believe the size of that cooler compared to the stock cooler. It was like comparing a Hemi to a 4Cyl engine ! lol

It fit with no problems in my Antec 300 case!

On Primep5 @ full load I never went over 47*C! I am running Idle @ 34-36*C & my core temps are steady at 25*C. I am stable at 3.6Ghz.

Here is my updated post! http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=818684

I get errors and go to blue screen whenever I go above this when I run OTTC or P95.

I am more the satisfied with my 38% overclock! I kept my NB & SB at stock voltage, but had to bump the core Volt to 1.47! B:)

Edited by Spazzy67