New Powersupply

Well i just recently (today) got a nice new 4870 from OCC and XFX, so i figure this is just another reason to upgrade my PSU. this one just isnt cutting it.

Im no power supply expert by any means.

But how many watts (roughly) will my current system (replace 9800gtx with 4870), then a hd5xxx or gtx3xx possibly down the road require? (terrible sentence, you get the jist)

id like to keep it cheapish, nothing too much over $100. i dont need top of the line.

Modular is a must unless someone can convince me otherwise. i dont have a whole lot of room for cables in my 300

Possibilities:

?????

?????

Edited by ShallowBay

Well i just recently (today) got a nice new 4870 from OCC and XFX, so i figure this is just another reason to upgrade my PSU. this one just isnt cutting it.

Im no power supply expert by any means.

But how many watts (roughly) will my current system (replace 9800gtx with 4870), then a hd5xxx or gtx3xx possibly down the road require? (terrible sentence, you get the jist)

id like to keep it cheapish, nothing too much over $100. i dont need top of the line.

Modular is a must unless someone can convince me otherwise. i dont have a whole lot of room for cables in my 300

Possibilities:

?????

?????

Corsair HX650 should be more than enough. For sli/xfire HX850 (has extra wattage in case 300 series is a Wattage sucker or whatever comes after)

Corsair HX650 should be more than enough. For sli/xfire HX850 (has extra wattage in case 300 series is a Wattage sucker or whatever comes after)

im broke. any other cheaper alternatives that would still suit my needs? i dont have $140 at the moment

is there nothing out there at <$100

If I had to recommend one power supply to everyone this one would be it Corsair 750TX not modular but it's got PLENTY of power and is $90 with rebates.

If you have to have a modular one I suggest this Corsair 550HX for $90 with mail in rebates. Not as powerful but it should do the job.

Edited by gabrieltessin

I really like that 750tx and i see its recommended all the time. So i might just ditch the modular idea and get that.

I dont want to regret not getting modular months later though. i have no idea where im going to put all those unused cables though :) the 300 doesnt have much room behind the mb

I really like that 750tx and i see its recommended all the time. So i might just ditch the modular idea and get that.

I dont want to regret not getting modular months later though. i have no idea where im going to put all those unused cables though :) the 300 doesnt have much room behind the mb

I have a 300 and I ended up using a lot of my modular cables, stuff them behindthe Hard drive.

see no clutter (though I could strap down the wires at the bottom they don't matter.

img1176p.jpg

note that it was rather difficult to get the supplementary power under the mobo, to do this I removed the fan on that side and had to push the mobo in to put in the top left screw because the mobo flexed out with the thick wire under it. Also if you can't tell the folds of the metal are used for fan wires and the cable are behind the hard drive cage not in it.

Edited by xchrissypoox

I have a BFG 550 with lots and lots of cables and I have managed to manage my cables quite efficiently with a Dell E521 case, you would be surprised what you can stuff in a drive bay :) It might take some effort but you can achieve good airflow with some careful planning, if you have a side window and want it to be spotless it may be a bit harder.

Edited by gabrieltessin

well yes dont get me wrong, i know how to manage cables just as good as the next guy. But i just like the idea of Modular PSU's. it would just simplify things a little. but now that i think about it, its not really a big deal. theres a nice little spot to keep cables beside the hard drive cage. i think ill go with the tx750

My buddy is using the Cooler Master Silent ProM 700 watt for his system, its similar to yours just with a 4850 instead of a 4870. He hasn't had any issues with it at all and it should be plenty powerful for a 5870 and possibly the GT300 series. It is modular to an extent and provides around 50 amps combined, made by Enhance as well so its pretty good. Its a nicely little unit to go with and its right at 100 bucks too. That is, if you haven't already bought the 750TX. :P

Edited by bp9801

You're gonna have a hard time finding a "quality" modular unit that is about 600w (550w could do it but, 600w is the sweet spot in reality)for under $100

EDIT: I havn't seen any of reviews of that cooler master unit. I tend to stay away from them, i think the only ones to consider from them are their 1kw+ units (UCP).

Edited by damian