Raid ?

insan3

okay people i need your help, i wanted to get a capture card to record in HD but i need to be able to write at 220mb/s and above. i know i am going to neeed to setup a raid0 but dont know how.

1. how many HDD's do i need to get to 220mb/s ? what do u recommend ?

2. raid card ? do i need 1 ?

3. how do i setup the raid ?

i have no clue when it comes to this stuff , i read the sticky about raid but it didnt answer all my questions.

I have two 640GB Caviar Blues in RAID 0 and I may get close to 220MB/s writing speed but that wouldn't be consistent by any means. What source are you recording that is requiring 220MB/s anyways?? Can't you just use some compression? I know there are lossless compression codecs or at least very very close to lossless out there that should substantially drop that need for a monstrous transfer rate.

But to answer your question... you may need upwards of 3 average drives, possibly 2 or more Raptors, or "maybe" 1 but most likely 2 SSDs. These would need to be in a RAID 0 configuration respectively.

If you would, provide some more information as to your setup for recording and what you are recording. Thanks

Hope this helps :)

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX

That card doesn't require 220MB/s, only if you are recording uncompressed.. There are built in codecs that will drastically reduce the required bandwidth such as the motion jpeg and another I can't remember. With those your current HDD should be just fine and the difference in quality will be impossible to see... you are better off this way than spending a lot of money and time on a RAID setup. Trust me

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX