Ridiculous DDR2 Prices!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you calculate it then??

The short answer? You can't. There are just too many variables.

DDR3 is inherently more efficient than DDR2 at the same clock speeds and latencies (sometimes by over 30%). If the price is the same or even within 10% I'd suggest going with DDR3.

The short answer? You can't. There are just too many variables.

DDR3 is inherently more efficient than DDR2 at the same clock speeds and latencies (sometimes by over 30%). If the price is the same or even within 10% I'd suggest going with DDR3.

Yeah, I know. The voltage alone screams that fact of efficiency, I just wonder, if they can sell DDR2 so cheap, they can sell DDR3 just as cheap be better off. It's cheaper produce than DDR2 right?

Yeah, I know. The voltage alone screams that fact of efficiency, I just wonder, if they can sell DDR2 so cheap, they can sell DDR3 just as cheap be better off. It's cheaper produce than DDR2 right?

The situation with DDR2 for the last year or so was different. There was a huge supply or DDR2 chips and, although obviously demand was high, it didn't really catch up until they started switching production to DDR3. All the big manufacturers (Hynix, Qimonda, Micron and I'm forgetting at least one) were in trouble financially because they had to sell their chips so cheap.

They just spoiled us with those sub-$30 4GB kits :P

The situation with DDR2 for the last year or so was different. There was a huge supply or DDR2 chips and, although obviously demand was high, it didn't really catch up until they started switching production to DDR3. All the big manufacturers (Hynix, Qimonda, Micron and I'm forgetting at least one) were in trouble financially because they had to sell their chips so cheap.

They just spoiled us with those sub-$30 4GB kits :P

Samsung was the missing link :P, but it still shows that DDR3 should have a higher opportunity to have a ridiculous price drop like that since it's cheaper to produce, and there isn't too much demand for it. (since prices are still highish

...since it's cheaper to produce

DDR3 isn't inherently cheaper to produce. Assuming they stuck at the same process level (which they didn't, which costs a TON of money) they still have to write all sorts of new test code, get new heads for the testing machines, work out all the bugs in the R&D stage (which only gets paid off in the long run), etc. It's just not as simple as the cost of materials. :)

DDR3 isn't inherently cheaper to produce. Assuming they stuck at the same process level (which they didn't, which costs a TON of money) they still have to write all sorts of new test code, get new heads for the testing machines, work out all the bugs in the R&D stage (which only gets paid off in the long run), etc. It's just not as simple as the cost of materials. :)

That's true but it certainly has the *potential* to ;)

and there isn't too much demand for it. (since prices are still highish

that's just you talking there. Unlike you peoe are fine with paying $70-80 for DDR3 4gb kits, and their is a lot of demand for it seeing as how it's becoming mainstream thanks to Intels new platforms.

That's true but it certainly has the *potential* to ;)

Well duh. Nobody said DDR3 is going to remain at current price levels. Look at the price trends of DDR3 over the past year, it's been going nowhere but down. Given enough time, DDR3 and DDR2 will be the same price, and then DDR3 will become cheaper than DDR2. Like I said earlier, it's EXACTLY the same scenario as what happened with DDR2 and DDR1. When DDR4 comes out, it's going to happen all over again.

that's just you talking there. Unlike you peoe are fine with paying $70-80 for DDR3 4gb kits, and their is a lot of demand for it seeing as how it's becoming mainstream thanks to Intels new platforms.

But they still need to watch which $70-80 DDR3 kits they buy since alot of crappy ddr3 ram is mixed into the more affordable kits

But they still need to watch which $70-80 DDR3 kits they buy since alot of crappy ddr3 ram is mixed into the more affordable kits

Did you even browse Newegg for a minute? There are plenty of good sub-$100 kits.