Science Fair Questions

bobbyt2012

Hi All,

I am going to be doing a science fair project on the effects of temperature on electron mobility by cooling my CPU with several different methods of cooling including Dry Ice and LN2. I have a few questions, and I'm sure more will come up. The most pertinent question right now is how low will the built in thermometers go that display the temperature in CoreTemp? I have an AMD Phenom II x4 940 BE. I'm in high school, and I don't really have a whole lot of spending money. I'm buying an evaporator from Koolance (CPU-LN2), unless you guys know of a better one for less money.

I'm working on getting a large array of relatively quick CPU tests for my experiments. The ones that I have come up with so far are: SuperPI to 4mil, Cinebench for Single Core and Multi, 3dMark06 CPU Tests Only, 3dMark Vantage CPU Tests only, and possibly 1 minute in Prime95 for stability only.

Bob

Hi All,

I am going to be doing a science fair project on the effects of temperature on electron mobility by cooling my CPU with several different methods of cooling including Dry Ice and LN2. I have a few questions, and I'm sure more will come up. The most pertinent question right now is how low will the built in thermometers go that display the temperature in CoreTemp? I have an AMD Phenom II x4 940 BE. I'm in high school, and I don't really have a whole lot of spending money. I'm buying an evaporator from Koolance (CPU-LN2), unless you guys know of a better one for less money.

I'm working on getting a large array of relatively quick CPU tests for my experiments. The ones that I have come up with so far are: SuperPI to 4mil, Cinebench for Single Core and Multi, 3dMark06 CPU Tests Only, 3dMark Vantage CPU Tests only, and possibly 1 minute in Prime95 for stability only.

Bob

You can read the Core Temp documentation here:

Core Temp home:

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

How Core Temp works:

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/howitworks.html

[Documentation Quote]

"AMD chips report the temperature by a special register in the CPU's NB. Core Temp reads that register and uses a formula provided by AMD to calculate the current temperature.

The formula for the K8 is: 'Core Temp = Value - 49'.

The formula for the K10* is: 'CPU Temp** = Value / 8'.

The sensor in AMD CPUs can report temperatures between -49C and 206C.

*K10 = Phenom (Agena), Opteron (Barcelona). The K10 reports a temperature value that is relative to a certain predefined value, it doesn't report the actual processor temperature! So take that into consideration.

**CPU Temp is because the Phenom\Opteron (K10) have only one sensor per package, meaning there is only one reading per processor".

The most pertinent question right now is how low will the built in thermometers go that display the temperature in CoreTemp?

About -60C IIRC. You will need a digital thermometer for accurate readings.

I assume you are aware that you will need proper insulation on the motherboard. Don't forget LN2 is relatively expensive and evaporates quickly so it's also a lot easier to have a partner