Windows 7: Likes/Dislikes... Opinions

Rokkaholik

Not being able to hit the Windows button, type 'run', 'cmd', or 'services.msc' and have the respective window open. :(

Huh I can do that... also win key + r.

Ooo something I really liked about it is what I saw today when installing it on a Toshiba Satellite A105... It has the vista capable logo on it and not the vista premium ready logo.... which means if vista is loaded it can't run aero effects unless you work around or something. Really cool thing is there are aero effects by default on it after I installed Win 7 Home premium onto it. I was also amazed that not only did Toshiba support XP and vista on this but they even went out of their way to support it on windows 7 with a driver/software package. I very much doubt this would have happened in the earlier XP era of Microsoft (like 4 years before vista). So +1 to M$ on a great release they definitely have improved things with drivers and hardware support.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like pretty much everything about Windows 7.

The driver support is amazing, with XP and Vista I would have to pull out my motherboard disc to install network drivers, but with Windows 7 it was done automatically.

Most everything on the retail Pro version is working just great. Haven't missed anything from the 64-Bit RC that I was running previously. My only dislike is an occasional error message telling me ---------------------------

"Windows has detected that audio enhancements for the following device are causing problems:

Speakers (Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM))

Would you like to disable Driver Enhancements for this device?"

Has anyone else experienced the same? No events in the Windows Error Log - system/application or otherwise. All advanced EQ settings and effects were disabled in the respective audio driver control panel. Running a standard 2.1 desktop speaker configuration.

For now I've allowed W7 to disable audio enhancements and doesn't seem to affect anything that I've found up to this point.

Update on the "Windows has detected that audio enhancements for following device are causing problems:"

At Creative's UK website they have released a public driver specifically for this issue. According to Creative's US website the driver is still BETA. However, I did download and install the BETA driver (UK version wouldn't install on my machine) and it appears this problem has been corrected. The driver version is;

2.18.0011 and size is 42.22MB

Creative is so jacked up! Also, at their UK website they have another driver released at the beginning of November that isn't anywhere to be found on the US site............

With Windows 7, the thing that's had me in awe the most often is the ability to drag a window to either side of your display and have it 'snap' into place. Similarly, dragging a window to the top breach of your display maximizes the window. I like everything in w7 except home groups I see no point in them unless you have a media system.

regards,

april

Simulation pret