Windows 7: Likes/Dislikes... Opinions

Rokkaholik

Whats the difference between 70-640, and 83-640??

I just started a class that is based on 70-640.

The 70-640 and the 83-640 are essentially the same exam with the same material. The difference is the 70-640 is just 40 multiple choice questions while the 83-640 is 30 multiple choice questions with 2 virtual machine labs. Basically what happens with new Microsoft labs is your testing computer connects to a server that is running Windows Server 2008 on a virtual machine and your required to preform various different tasks. The labs are actual computers running windows server 2008 so it makes it a little bit tougher when compared Microsoft old simulation method which was basically just a flash simulation which essentially wouldn't let you do anything but the task you were required to do. I believe each lab requires you to do 8-10 different tasks so in the end it turns into about 16-20 more questions.

You technically can still take the 70-640 but for some odd reason instead of removing the exam from testing centers they made it so you can no longer take the exam in English. You can still take it in other languages but I doubt that be smart unless you speak one of those languages fluently. For those who have already taken the 70-640 it is still worth credit towards your MCITP Server Administrator or MCITP Enterprise Server administrator certs. So I would recommend you get a trial version of Server 2008 and install it on a virtual machine and do some hands on practice. Based on what I have heard most of the tasks they want you to preform on the exam aren't that hard although they may throw some tough ones in there.

So the exam may or may not be harder depending on how much hands on experience you have and weather your better at answer questions or actually preforming the tasks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I would recommend you get a trial version of Server 2008 and install it on a virtual machine and do some hands on practice.

pfft, I have Server 2008 Enterprise Datacenter edition o.o... Idk why but its what our school gives out.

We mostly do all our course work hands on via, Virtual machines.

Edited by greengiant912

pfft, I have Server 2008 Enterprise Datacenter edition o.o... Idk why but its what our school gives out.

We mostly do all our course work hands on via, Virtual machines.

Datacenter edition is the fullest edition of Windows Server 2008 its like Ultimate version. Contains everything that W2K8 has to offer vs the other editions which certain features start to get stripped out. They probably didn't want you to be limited so thats why they gave you the full edition.

Datacenter edition is the fullest edition of Windows Server 2008 its like Ultimate version. Contains everything that W2K8 has to offer vs the other editions which certain features start to get stripped out. They probably didn't want you to be limited so thats why they gave you the full edition.

yeah, which is nice. Its only for educational purposes, but its so nice to be able to use this software for free while learning...

With Windows 7, the thing that's had me in awe the most often is the ability to drag a window to either side of your display and have it 'snap' into place. Similarly, dragging a window to the top breach of your display maximizes the window.

I like everything in w7 except home groups I see no point in them unless you have a media system. As a bunch of people said its what vista should of been. Its as fast as xp for me if not faster and has a great look and functionality. I used it since the beta build 7100 and loved it ever since. Unlike my vista beta which was nice and fast then the real thing was crap w7 is good all the way.

I don't see the point of Quick Launch in 7 when you can pin items to the taskbar, thereby resulting in a far more functional Quick Launch.

You can't have more then one window in programs that don't have tabs.

I don't see the point of Quick Launch in 7 when you can pin items to the taskbar, thereby resulting in a far more functional Quick Launch.

Yeah but without quick launch you cant have this:

2a8s0i1.png