Windows 7: Likes/Dislikes... Opinions

Rokkaholik

Just a little thread to maybe gather everyones likes or dislikes all in one place. I've read through various threads and saw some here and there, but I figured all in one place may make it easier.

I managed to get 2 copies of Windows 7 Professional for free from school. One 64 bit and one 32 bit. I installed the 64 bit on my machine on the second partition in a Dual Boot with XP. I've been tinkering with it for a few days now and although I'll say it seems to run MUCH better than Vista ever did, I keep getting hints that 7 is nothing more than a revamped Vista with some better XP programs compatibility. Even the intro "tink" sound is the same.

My biggest complaint is the "My Documents" type folder setup it uses. I didn't like Vista's at all, and it doesn't seem to have changed in 7 either. I much prefer the simple folders view of XP. My main reason for this complaint is the fact that I have 3 hard drives. One for the OS and then there's a 1tb for Documents and a 1tb for Music. When I open either of the backup hard drives, the little navigation area on the left of the viewing window should be for THAT specific drive, but it's not. When surfing around in the X Drive for music, if I click anything in that little navigation area on the left, it automatically ends up in the C Drive user documents. On top of that, I don't use the "Details" type of viewing, but for some reason, any and every folder I create, it has the little comumns at the top for Date Modified, Type, Size, etc.... Even when I set the view to how I like it, and then go to the Folder Views and change the setting to make EVERY folder to appear the same, it doesn't seem to work for me. The Vista I used to have did the same thing.

Last, I have shortcuts I place on the desktop to go directly to the 2 backup drives for Music and Documents. I also place these shortcuts in the taskbar down by the Start button in XP for easy access when I need them. I can't do that in 7 for some reason. It want's to pin them to some folder looking icon instead. Personally, I'd like to change the entire taskbar at the bottom to look like what XP had as I don't like the new style at all.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean re-enable the Quick Launch bar??

My only gripe is no Dreamscene from Vista but other than that it's far superior to Vista or XP

Yeah Dreamscapes was pretty cool. I can't think of anything I don't like. I haven't had a single issue since I installed the beta. Included screensavers are not impressive if I had to say something bad.

You can point your My Documents folder to your second drive in about 5 seconds. ;)

+1

Right click on any of the sections in Libraries, then properties. Click include folder and your done. You can even create custom library sections if you wanted to and link them as well.

+1

Right click on any of the sections in Libraries, then properties. Click include folder and your done. You can even create custom library sections if you wanted to and link them as well.

Wasn't aware of that I guess... I'll give it a try.. Thanks for the "how to" B:)

I was talking to a Microsoft guy on Twitter last night about 7. One of my biggest gripes with Windows 7 can also be applied to Office 2007, and the latest versions of Windows Server... the Ribbon toolbar. Words cannot adequately describe the level of hate I have for that design. Who ever came up with the concept can DIAF as far as I'm concerned.

Other than that, I've said my thoughts on Windows 7 in earlier topics.

I like very much these Windows Sevens. The Documents setup was hard for me to get used to transitioning from XP to Vista, but I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me at all. I especially like the Sticky Notes program... I use it extensively.

I was talking to a Microsoft guy on Twitter last night about 7. One of my biggest gripes with Windows 7 can also be applied to Office 2007, and the latest versions of Windows Server... the Ribbon toolbar. Words cannot adequately describe the level of hate I have for that design. Who ever came up with the concept can DIAF as far as I'm concerned.

Why? Seems pretty fine to me.

I like very much these Windows Sevens. The Documents setup was hard for me to get used to transitioning from XP to Vista, but I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me at all. I especially like the Sticky Notes program... I use it extensively.

I'm the same way with the snipping tool, I <3 the snipping tool.

The only silly thing I don't see an point to is windows shake lol. I'll find a reason for it soon enough I'm sure

Windows snap is very helpful as well for comparing two windows, not to mention I like being able to tear a window out of maximize mode and or to drag it into maximize mode.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I really liked the comparison feature. The new hotkeys were quite useful too; I put them on my macro keys so when I get used to them it will make my life easier.

I totally agree with iviythos; the shake feature is fun, yeah, but when will you seriously use it? Never.

Edited by Jump4h