Ph4n

what mobo should i get for i7 (x58)???

i have three choices of mobo for the i7 920 atm. i chose uATx coz its cheaper and i dont need tri sli/cf support for now

1. asus rampage ii gene $ 469 NZD

2. evga x58 sli micro $ 419 NZD

3. evga x58 sli LE $ 459 NZD ( i know its not micro but the dream of eventually having 3 5850s would be cool)

by the way does the evga support crossfire?

Edited by Ph4n

i have three choices of mobo for the i7 920 atm. i chose uATx coz its cheaper and i dont need tri sli/cf support for now

1. asus rampage ii gene $ 469 NZD

2. evga x58 sli micro $ 419 NZD

3. evga x58 sli LE $ 459 NZD ( i know its not micro but the dream of eventually having 3 5850s would be cool)

by the way does the evga support crossfire?

I think they all support crossfire (as in all x58) as I recall it is sli that some don't have because they have to pay for the license. I have the ROG gene so I vote that.

I hate the EVGA site for not putting up complete specs!!

EVGA micro seems good but it is sans the ROG features!! LE too is pretty good but :google: for OC performance and stability!!

yea i dd, they seem relatively even, so down to package i guess.... hardwareknucks said that most of the software included with the rampage is crap.. so idk, however the rampage looks very nice imo.. but i mite go with the LE i think coz i like the look of full size mobos :)

EDIT: never mind strike that, the rampage is soo much better comapred to the LE in terms of voltages and overclocking!

Edited by Ph4n

The RIIGene is an excellent board, not sure about the others, but I have an EVGA X58 3X SLI and it's a great board too

does the evga x58 sli LE support 2-way crossfire at x16 x16 or is it only the first slot runnin at x16, with the others splitting the lanes at x8???? i seriously dont understand... plz help.. this is going to be the deciding the factor as to what i pick (rampage ii gene vs evga sli LE)

does the evga x58 sli LE support 2-way crossfire at x16 x16 or is it only the first slot runnin at x16, with the others splitting the lanes at x8???? i seriously dont understand... plz help.. this is going to be the deciding the factor as to what i pick (rampage ii gene vs evga sli LE)

only first one is running at x16

here is how it's split

PCIe slot 1: 16x

PCIe slot 2: 8x

PCIe slot 3: 4x

PCIe slot 4: 8x

between LE and gene, i think gene would be a better choice

the sli micro is both at x16 though.

tyvm for the help... the rampage gene it is then :D

not so keen about the sli micro due to lack of ide port... wana use an old 80gb hdd (ide) for the os lol

Edited by Ph4n

tyvm for the help... the rampage gene it is then :D

not so keen about the sli micro due to lack of ide port... wana use an old 80gb hdd (ide) for the os lol

I'd consider investing in a new hard drive to go along with your new fast hardware, otherwise you're going to be limiting your performance right off the bat with a slow hard drive. Just a thought...

I'd consider investing in a new hard drive to go along with your new fast hardware, otherwise you're going to be limiting your performance right off the bat with a slow hard drive. Just a thought...

:withstupid: WD blacks are super fast. also ide is getting phased out.