bigmike84

AMD build, or i5?

I'm trying to decide to go with this setup:

Board: ASUS Crosshair III

CPU Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition

GPU: Radeon HD 5870

RAM Corsair Dominator DDR3 (1600)

HDD 640 WD Black

I have a Corsair HX750W and Antec 1200 case already, and a DVD burner.

I could go with that setup, or spend a bit more, and get less quality parts on an i5, or i7 on 1156 socket. I heard that AM3 is going to support the new AMD 6-Core CPU's though. So if I can spend less, and still be future proof without having to buy a 1366 socket, would that be the best route to go? I can pretty much make the best AMD platform, for a lot less money than a decent Intel rig. Only thing I see that I would lose is SLI support - but I plan to just use 1 card anyways.

How does that build stand up? Also, does that RAM work with that board, can anyone confirm?

thx

I could go with that setup, or spend a bit more, and get less quality parts on an i5, or i7 on 1156 socket.

Well, lets take a look at that:

post-65878-1256010546_thumb.jpg

post-65878-1256010626_thumb.jpg

Well, that takes care of the cost part, how about performance at stock speeds (2.66 GHz vs 3.4 GHz).

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/819/1

Wonder what would happen at the same clock speed when the i5 beats or is very close to the 965 at a lot of the tests at 2.6 GHz?

You are right about the upgrades though, the 1366 socket would be much better for the long haul and would be more expensive.

So, as it always is, it's completely up to you. Either way it should be a great computer.

the phenom 2 six cores will be out next yr, so the AM3 has got another round of powerful cpus to come.

also i would get this instead. its the 955 and it 35$ cheaper and with the unlocked multiplier it can easily be increase by 1 to run at 3.4 just like the 965 all day long. I think this would be a fine route. If you plan on pushing the cpu to the limit in OCing then the 965 may get you 200mhz more on the top end, but thats about it, and that is debatable as there are many 965 that dont get as high as some 955 when pushed to the max on air. For all intent and purposes its the same exact cpu just down clocked 1 multiplier. But they both have unlocked multipliers so its kinda moot.

As far as sli goes, i think the next gen gpus are so powerful, who is gonna need 2 of them, lol. But i never thought dual cards were the best option, only if you already had a lesser card and a second was a cheap upgrade that could yield good results. There is a team who has figured out how to get sli to work in ATI chipsets. It has a few steps but is working 100% as of now. I figure It wont be long before they have an all in one program that does most of the steps for you. I think its awesome, really really awesome.

So yea, i think the phenom2 is a good choice and it looks like you are already leaning towards it, so go for it. You wont be disappointed.....i promise

If it's a purely gaming build, you may not notice any significant improvement with Intel!!

i5 and 955 are pretty much the same thing!

1156 does give you that hyperthreading option for upgrade, and would get a 32nm processor but there is no news of a 6-core there!! (though it should come up eventually)

And by all means a quad core should suffice gaming for a long time!!

If it's a purely gaming build, you may not notice any significant improvement with Intel!!

i5 and 955 are pretty much the same thing!

1156 does give you that hyperthreading option for upgrade, and would get a 32nm processor but there is no news of a 6-core there!! (though it should come up eventually)

And by all means a quad core should suffice gaming for a long time!!

i5 is better when you aren't gaming though and you can make a build for a reasonable price. I say go with an i5 and the best gaphics card you can I think people are overestimating the cost of i5 builds it isn't much more (if it even is more) than and amd build, they float around the same price range.

example:buildgj.jpg

add $180 to the price to change the video card in my example to a 5850 and subtract $150 for a cheaper case and it is $880 which I would say is very reasonable for a very high end build.

Edited by xchrissypoox

You could also go with the 550 BE and unlock and overclock it.. It's 102 USD right now on newegg.

i wouldnt recommend that. Unlocking cores is not certain. and IF you can unlock the cores. they might not be stable

SO if you want a Quad Core, buy a Quad Core. Dont leave it up to chance.

Get a 955BE and call it a day. up the multiplier and you will essentially have a 965, but for a lot cheaper.