Ariz. sheriff launches immigration sweep

Rokkaholik

Interesting... People break the law and come into the country illegally, and then whine when they're busted.... Some set of clankers there.... Once you're here in this country illegally, all bets are off as far as I'm concerned. What is so hard about trying to immigrate the right way? I respect those who choose to come here to better themselves and take the necessary steps to do so. By all means, come on in and work, be active in your community and share something. If you're here illegally, as far as i'm concerned, you have no rights. I don't want to see any flag waving. I don't want to see any demands for medical care, teachers who speak spanish, or claims of profiling. Get out of the country. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Start over and try it the RIGHT way.

Just to add... This has nothing to do with race to me either... It's the principle of it. If I break into a bank and take the money, and then make demands to the cops of not arresting me because otherwise you're profiling me, I'm pretty sure it won't work...

Ariz. sheriff launches immigration sweep

SURPRISE, Ariz.

Edited by Rokkaholik

That's such BS, get them the illegal immigrants the hell out of here, it's not racial profiling....if your spanish. I don't see a whole bunch of canadians sneaking in illegally. If they have the energy and drive to raise hell over being suspected of being spanish when they are spanish, then they can immigrate the correct way. I bet even if the protestors are legal citizens, I bet they have a troop of illegal relatives hiding in their closets. Otherwise I don't see why they'd care about being checked for illegal immigration, if they are citizens then they have nothing to worry about.

I didn't realize we had such a problem with people from Spain illegally coming into this country :P

My only concern is the potential Fourth Amendment violations that might be taking place. I'm not saying the illegals have this right, but you know that a good number of American citizens are going to be subject to these sweeps simply because of the way they look. Your skin color is not enough to satisfy probable cause to search your person, your vehicle, or your home.

Also, the whole "if you didn't do anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about" argument is just plain garbage. I haven't committed any felonies, but that doesn't mean I don't have a problem with the FBI tapping my phone and searching my home on a weekly basis. I have a right to privacy and that privacy should only be invaded when authorities have sufficient reason to believe that I have committed a crime. A hunch is not enough, certainly profiling is not enough. I want them to have tangible evidence to present to a non-partisan magistrate who will issue a search warrant, as laid out in the Constitution. These checks and balances were instituted for a reason, to prevent the rise of tyranny. If it means a few criminals get away, that's fine by me, because the majority's interests are still protected. An unchecked government is a far greater threat to our liberty than a few petty criminals on the loose.

I wish the sheriff in my town did that. I'm barely an hour away from the Mexican border and there are a good number of illegals around here. We do have a heavy Border Patrol presence here though, every highway out of town has checkpoints to prove you are a citizen. If you don't have proper identification, they'll take care of you no problem. But thats only if you leave the town on the major highways.. we have a few frontage roads that run parallel to it, so its possible to circumvent it. Just not very easily. :P

I do agree with Rokkaholik though, if you are an illegal in this country, you should have no rights because you are not a citizen. The Constitution is for citizens of this country, not illegals who sneak over. Why there are politics about that I have no idea, its as simple as illegals have no rights, period.

Why there are politics about that I have no idea, its as simple as illegals have no rights, period.

To win the Latino vote. It's an increasing voter population out this way, so patronizing them by backing off on the sweeps is a way of theoretically getting more votes.

To win the Latino vote. It's an increasing voter population out this way, so patronizing them by backing off on the sweeps is a way of theoretically getting more votes.

That's pretty much what it comes down to.

The Democrats in power support minorities because it is one of the groups that votes for them.

That's pretty much what it comes down to.

The Democrats in power support minorities because it is one of the groups that votes for them.

and that'd be fine except they could gain more votes if there were more citizens to vote ;). I wouldn't be mad at the country I live trying to rid itself of those who don't belong here, I'd be mad at my fellow mexican brethren who are too lazy to just immigrate the right way. If they immigrated the right way then there wouldn't be any need for sweeps since there wouldn't be a huge problem with illegal mexicans

Ivy, have you ever looked into what the proper immigration method entails? It's a long, arduous process that takes years if you intend on living here permanently, and this is before they've even set foot in the country. It's also a very expensive process that's based entirely upon luck. It's very understandable to see why people would want to use the illegal method, it's simply quicker and cheaper, important factors when you consider time and money being the number one motivating factors for people trying to get into this country so that they can start working and send money back home to their starving families.