need help on finding new router

usaweapon777

Hey guys, well i've had a wrt54g for a couple years now but as of late it is driving me insane!!! It keeps denying internet connection to my computers randomly. I have to reset like 3 times every day because it just quits working. I haven't change any network settings recently so i'm thinking its on its way out. I need help finding a new one figured i'd probably buy from the egg. It can be g i don't need n but if somoene can find one cheap thats fine to. My main thing is that its pretty quick and that its stable. I've had this linksys for a pretty long time now so i'd still buy another one. I am completely against netgear though, i have seen around 5 that have died from time to time at friends houses. The main thing is also cos,t cheaper the better but i got a budget from probably $30-$50

Any help appreciated from

thanks

david, he said he's completely against Netgear :P

The WRT54G is essentially unbeatable when you're looking for a cheap and reliable router. I would suggest the WRT54GL, it's the Linux variety so you can tinker with the firmware (i.e. replace it with third party firmware). Newegg currently has it listed for $44, a very good price.

Linksys WRT54GL

Now, I know you said you're not looking for an N router. However, N does offer more than just range, it also offers a faster connection between computers. I personally upgraded to an N router and transferring files wirelessly is very fast, much faster than it was on my G router. Also, streaming video between computers is also very quick. I personally use the D-Link DIR-655, and it's also a very popular model on Newegg. It's currently selling for $92.85

D-Link DIR-655

If you see yourself with several computers on one network and having a need to wirelessly transfer files or stream videos, then I would highly suggest an N router. Otherwise, your trusty Linksys should be more than enough.

yeah i loved my wrt54g till it started acting up.. and i got a friend the wrt54gl and put dd-wrt on it that works great. I think your right and i just might get a wrt54gl again, though man the d-link looks tempting though its pretty $$$ I'll definately have to consider it though. thanks for the advice and yeah i refuse netgear lol seen way to many commit suicide.

I totally concur, in my experience Netgear has been a total pain. Proprietary software, poor hardware quality, it was just awful in comparison to the far superior offerings from Linksys and D-Link. Netgear may have improved over the last few years, but the company has just left a bad taste in my mouth that I doubt it will ever recover from for me.

I know the D-Link seems pricey, but if you can take advantage of what it offers, it's totally worth it. I actually spent more than that back when it first came out and even at the higher price I consider it totally worthwhile.

I have the WRT54GL. It was recommended through this forum. The only resets I've had to do in the last year or so, were, well...never! Hah! Even if the power was pulled, the settings have remained, and it fires right up :)

I'm still running the stock firmware, but, there's a couple solid options available (dd-wrt, tomato). If I have a problem, I'll change it...

We're running two desktops wired, and two laptops wireless, and it works great.