Any noticable difference in 3GB vs 6GB?

Looking to build a X58 rig by the end of the month, and the upped cost of the MOBO, and RAM really can take a toll on my wallet. I was originally planning to build a rig using the P55 chipset, but decided to go with the socket 1366 on the X58 chipset, to be better 'future-proof', and have the ability to run Crossfire or SLI at x16/x16.

Anyways, I'm wondering if it is really worth spending the extra money for 6GB of ram vs buying a 3GB Triple-Channel kit. Kinda sucks that you can't get 4 Gigs, that's one thing I liked about the P55 chipset, 4 Gigs seemed like a good number to me. So will there be a noticeable difference from 3 to 6 Gigs, outside of actually using benchmarks?

*edit*- I'll be using Vista 64, but if Win7-64 bit is in stock when I order, then I'll be using that. Gaming will be mostly my use, as well as some other basic stuff, a little video/photo editing too.

Thanks.

Edited by barch88

most games still cite their requirements as only 2GB memory, so three would, in theory, suffice.

Also, are you completely set on i7? A Phenom II system would perform just as well, if not better in some instances, than an i7 and be less expensive to boot.

Just to play devil's advocate i'll link this ongoing thread here at occ

going phenom ii will allow you to get 4gb mem, and of course, hurt your wallet less, while having next to zero hit on gaming experience.

...unless you're an nvidia guy and you want SLi

Edited by fearspartan117

It should be enough for now but if you need more in the future you could buy another 3gb set. 6gb should be plenty but it might be cheaper in the long run to just throw in 3x2gb sticks and just upgrade from there if you need more.

Edited by gabrieltessin

Thanks for the quick replies, and yes, I'm quite set on an Intel i7 build. I've read that thread, but what really attracts me is the option to go with either SLI or Crossfire, without having to worry about being stuck with one or the other. I was actually a AMD fanboy, and the computer I'm typing this on is my old Athlon 3600+ X2 <_<.

I'll try to fit a 6 Gig kit in my budget, like Gabriel said, it may be smart to just spend the money for 6 gigs and not have to look back for awhile.

Thanks for the quick replies, and yes, I'm quite set on an Intel i7 build. I've read that thread, but what really attracts me is the option to go with either SLI or Crossfire, without having to worry about being stuck with one or the other. I was actually a AMD fanboy, and the computer I'm typing this on is my old Athlon 3600+ X2 <_<.

I'll try to fit a 6 Gig kit in my budget, like Gabriel said, it may be smart to just spend the money for 6 gigs and not have to look back for awhile.

fair enough.

and is that a 939??? if so don't trash it! i loved my Athlon X2 4200+.. clocked that to 2.6ghz with no experience at all, and it ran fantabulous with my 3870 ^_^

fair enough.

and is that a 939??? if so don't trash it! i loved my Athlon X2 4200+.. clocked that to 2.6ghz with no experience at all, and it ran fantabulous with my 3870 ^_^

Yep, 939 socket. I don't plan to trash it, probably will pass it down to someone who can make use of it. I have a 8800GT in it, and its an amazing system, just time for an upgrade.

I'm not sure about 3GB, but from what I have tested, 4GB versus 8GB does not make any difference in gaming.

Edit: A faster memory frequency did increase the FPS though.

Edited by The Smith

Yep, 939 socket. I don't plan to trash it, probably will pass it down to someone who can make use of it. I have a 8800GT in it, and its an amazing system, just time for an upgrade.

i didnt mean trash as in throw it out.. i meant as in defaming it lolol