Oc'ing my 6400x2 BE on formula crosshair 2 mobo

Nakchee

Can anyone give a complete overclocking noob some advice please as this is my first time trying it,i have an athlon 6400 x2 atm but am considering an upgrade to either the 955 be or the 965 be which i intend to o/c as well,but first i wouldnt mind a bit of practise on my existing procesor,here are my specs:

AMD ATHLON 6400 [email protected] 3214.7 mhz

Thermaltake toughpower modular 750w PSU

Asus formula crosshair 2 (rog)n-force 780a SLI

2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz

Thermaltake v1 cooler

Geforce 8800gt

I have looked through the forums to gather some information,but would like to know for sure which configs would work best with my setup before i actually do any o'c'ing,also just wondering which memory config is best to use when oc'ing...dual or single channel. Any advice will be greatly aprreciated,and i am hoping to be enjoying the benefits of overclocking very soon :)

To be honest. You haven't exactly picked the best processor to learn on. The reason being that due to its already fairly high clock speed, there is not a lot of room to grow with it. I have seem stable OCing of this processor at 3.5GHz much further requires a lot of voltage upping which isn't healthy in the long run. Especially without proper cooling.

I would save up your pennies to get the new processor (don't waste your money on the 965, get the 955), read as much as you can about overclocking with your motherboard etc.

Good luck!

thanks for taking the time to reply,but i would still like to try with this processor just so i can get use to doing it,if it helps it might be the black edition,i know it wont make a lot of difference but even a small increase will make me happy lol,cpuid reports it as athlon x2 6400 windsor,Everest on the other hand reports it as DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 Black Edition, 3215 MHz (16 x 201) 6400+,

If it is the Black Edition OCing is quite simple. You up the multiplier for the CPU. Do not touch the FSB.

Start by bringing it up to a 17x ... run Prime95 or OCCT for at least an hour to ensure stability. Then, bring it up to 18x and continue on ...

Watch your temperatures, you don't want your load temps to be going above 60C ... to be safe. Ensure you have decent cooling and airflow through the case.

Best of luck.

I have a Crosshair II Formula mobo as well, but I have an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (Brisbane Black Edition)

It OC'd nicely from 2.6 to 3.33 GHz.

The simplest way to OC with this board is to use the AI tuning option in the "Extreme Tweaker"

It will increase your CPU speed up to 10% on the auto function, after that though, you're on your own in manual. There are several modes that you can use to OC your processor on this board, but I don't know much/anything about them other than auto and manual.

@ OCFreak

I don't know exactly what you're talking about using the multiplier on black edition processors. I've used the FSB and it's certainly worked alright with the multiplier on auto, even though it has remained at 13x the entire time. I'm somewhat of a n00b and I only replied on this one because I have the same board in my system. Could you elaborate on the reason why? I'm just curious.

I have a Crosshair II Formula mobo as well, but I have an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (Brisbane Black Edition)

It OC'd nicely from 2.6 to 3.33 GHz.

The simplest way to OC with this board is to use the AI tuning option in the "Extreme Tweaker"

It will increase your CPU speed up to 10% on the auto function, after that though, you're on your own in manual. There are several modes that you can use to OC your processor on this board, but I don't know much/anything about them other than auto and manual.

@ OCFreak

I don't know exactly what you're talking about using the multiplier on black edition processors. I've used the FSB and it's certainly worked alright with the multiplier on auto, even though it has remained at 13x the entire time. I'm somewhat of a n00b and I only replied on this one because I have the same board in my system. Could you elaborate on the reason why? I'm just curious.

overclocking using the multiplier is way easier than using the fsb, when you use the fsb it increases many things like the ht link, nb, and ram freq, thus you have to lower there stock freqs to make them run closer to normal frequencies, when you use the multiplier it only affects the cpu, quicker and easier. less of a chance to mess something up as well

overclocking using the multiplier is way easier than using the fsb, when you use the fsb it increases many things like the ht link, nb, and ram freq, thus you have to lower there stock freqs to make them run closer to normal frequencies, when you use the multiplier it only affects the cpu, quicker and easier. less of a chance to mess something up as well

Thank you for the information actionstan. I'll try using the multiplier. Currently I'm running out of voltage for some components and was going to start forcing it in order to get more stability at 3.4 GHz and then go from there.