Radiator before CPU?

I'm assembling my new rig, but I need some clarification before I start filling the loop for leak testing... Is it crucial to have the radiator between the pump and the component to be cooled? Will the performance suffer if I place the rad at the end of my loop? For example, I currently have my primary loop set up like this:

Pump > CPU > NB/SB > Rad > Res

I've read alot of forum threads that suggest the loop be:

Pump > Rad > CPU > NB/SB > Res

I understand the purpose behind it, as the water will be coolest immediately after the radiator, but are the performance gains that significant? I'm trying to keep my tubing as short and neat as possible, and placing the rad at the beginning of the loops would be considerable messier for me.

The same goes for my secondary GPU loop:

Pump > GPU 1 > GPU 2 > Rad > Res

Thoughts, suggestions?

That be a better question for one of the veterans here but I have found this on Tons Hardware\ Im pretty sure its lagit. Enjoy. Its a good guide.

And What you are saying makes sense. To be honest with you i agree and would have the loop: pump, block, rad, res. but thats my opinion....I'll try it both ways when I get my water cooling set-up, then we will know first hand.

BTW: what kind of case do you have....... Custom... Haf 932?

Well, sure it cools the water, but why does it have to come first? They way I have my loop now, the water comes out of the hot component, is cooled by the radiator, returns to the reservoir and is pumped back to the component.

I guess that's why I'm asking if it matters... the only real benefit I could see is if the pumps were dumping alot of heat back into the cooled water. If that was the case, I would definitely put the rad immediately before the waterblock. However, I'm finding alot of conflicting reports about whether or not the pumps actually have any real impact on the water temp.

On that note, I'm using Swiftech MCP355 pumps in both of my loops.

You get the most pressure into the CPU block going Pump>>> CPU block>>>Rad>>>Res or Pump

Depending on the pump you use the heat dump from the pump is not really enough to make a difference in CPU temperature

In addition, the setup your planning will put cooled coolant into the res, the "other" way will dump hot coolant into the res, adding more heat to the inside of your case, that could otherwise could have been cooled by the rad. (assuming your res is in your case)

yeah it's mostly based on your pump, some pumps induce a decent amount of heat into the water, so haveing the water cooled before the hardware makes sure the best cooling. Having cool water in a res means nuthing if the pump was heating it back up before the hardware, so haveing hot water in a res going thru a hot pump still gets cool doing the res before the hardware. At the end of the day, theres prolly not going to be a noticable difference on a day to day use, you would likely only notice some differences during major OC'ing sessions.

Thoughts, suggestions?

i added a second cooler after cpu. to go down in temp and the result was the opposite, a raise 2-3c

it is more resistance for the pump so the flow go down and temp up.

also tested to add a 2end cooler direct after the pump. ( using it now for testing ) like: cooler-pump-cooler-cpu- it is a little better but no extreme diffrent.

best way is to have a megahuge cooler with high flow

lower recistance=higher flows=lower temps

By second cooler are you talking a second radiator or anothe block to cool something? The more things you cool the more heat that is introduced into the loop the temp will go up!

My english is not so good , i am only cooling the cpu, so second radiator.

radiator-pump-radiator-cpu-

Edited by RobBan-Swe