0o0

Bumps on the back of lga775 cpu's (q6600)

Some guy is offering a q6600 for sale for a pretty low price, doesn't sound too legit , but something did spark my curiosity... does anyone know what those bumps are on the back of the cpu? I remember reading about those bumps somewhere, but forgot, and now not even google can help me find it again lol. Also, does anyone know why or how his cpu could have gotten to that state, and will it affect performance? Thanks.

post-69005-1255396165_thumb.jpg

He could of over heated it and it sucks at performance now. Or it could just be from normal use. I never seen that happen before though.

It looks like a chip should go there though so maybe it fell off.

Edited by rmb938

If I was to hazard a guess I'd say they were surface mounted resistor networks rather like the ones below.

gallery_32188_263_6000.jpg

The only way these things could fall off is through very rough handling or the solder has melted due to overheating.

There looks like there is some sign of burning/overheating on the photograph but it's hard to tell.

I'd probably leave well alone but if the price is very low it may be worth a punt but that's your decision.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

Some guy is offering a q6600 for sale for a pretty low price, doesn't sound too legit , but something did spark my curiosity... does anyone know what those bumps are on the back of the cpu? I remember reading about those bumps somewhere, but forgot, and now not even google can help me find it again lol. Also, does anyone know why or how his cpu could have gotten to that state, and will it affect performance? Thanks.

i would not buy that thing.. it looks in bad condition

Definitely a missing component. If it does indeed work, it may be interesting to see how long/how well it works with an R-pak missing.

I have a MB that I accidentally ripped about 8 components off of with a screwdriver, and I'm still using it! As far as I can tell, it had no impact on operation or performance.

are you in need of a Q6600...? I have a spare i'd be willing to part with...you can PM me if you'd like to know more info

Looks like a Failed suicide run attempt to me or prolonged use at excessive temps. Bummer. those are great chips so I have heard.