sack_patrol

Let the OC BEGIN!!!!!!!

problem isn't in the 1333, it's the timings. It was at 1333 when I got it. Anyway, foget about it. I'm done with this for now.

Edited by ballist1x

Ok I think I'm getting greedy but I managed to push it to 3.9Ghz. It seems to be stable. I ran 18 minutes of Prime95.

Sorry to burst your bubble but 18min of Prime95 does not mean stability. I'll usually run Prime95 for a few hours before I consider something stable, and run it all night for a final overclock.

Fine then I'll do that.

What would happen if I ran prime95 all night, and it freezes while I'm asleep? Will it be bad for the PC, or nothing will happen...I'll just have to reset it in the morning?

Also can I do other stuff while prime95 is running or does it have to be left alone?

Edited by ballist1x

Chances are if it's not stable you'll see it within the first few hours.

Leaving it running for 8 Hours just helps you be sure of extra stability.

Depending on what happened you could wake up with a computer that restarted, one that's off, or wake up to a BlueScreen.

If you don't feel comfortable running it through the night, start it up in the morning and let it run while you're home.

I see, well I guess I'll run it tomorrow, but can I also do other stuff on the PC or only prime95 has to be running with nothing else being done or touched.

Can prime95 be used for 15 min stability tests while overclocking? Like I did with OCCT. (i think occt isn't a very good program)

Edited by ballist1x

I made a jump from 3.6 to 4.0 (ops :] ), then I let it chill at 3.7. Vcore currently at default (manually set) 1.264 V.

Basically right now this is the max I can get out of the cpu just by poking the multi.

What is next step? I'm guessing that I gotta do something to the NB so that I can run 4.0. Before that I wanna go 3.8-3.9, but again I think that I have to adjust NB...I just dunno how :[

The following advice is for someone who won't cry in the extremely unlikely case that their cpu dies:

-set voltage to 1.55 or 1.50, reboot and make sure it doesn't bsod. You can go as high as you want as long as your cpu is stable at such voltages, and you're alright with the voltage, meaning you're alright with the amount of stress on your cpu and the heat produced/electricity used

-fsb 200, bump multi up, boot windows and restart, rinse and repeat until you bsod. Back off half a multi or a multi, occt or linpack for as long as you feel necessary, if data integrety is not crucial (not a home server or anything, only programs and games no data), you can do with a single hour of OCCT.

-If you like, you can start moving up your fsb to tweak it even further... but I don't bother with fsb unless I'm running OCable memory like OCZ Reapers.

-Have fun

-1.5v is generally considered 'extreme but fairly safe' voltage for 45nano's, 1.6 and it dies after a day of stressing. Some guys ran some high end c2q 45nm at 1.6vcore for a day and it died. Use 1.6vcore if you've got a twkr and some LN2 lol

PC crashed after an hour (more or less) of a priority 10 prime95 testing. It was at x19, fsb:206 = 3.9Ghz Vcore: around 1.4.

Now I let it back down to 3.8ghz, multi at x19.0, fsb: 200, vcore: 1.360

I don't know if I should waste any more time with this. Although I do want to get the absolute max.

My advice ... in all honestly ...

I would recommend that you put everything back the way you had it. Step back from the computer let it rest overnight. Tomorrow turn on the computer and leave everything at stock speeds and voltages.

Now, take the day to learn about the different terms and understanding what it is that you are actually doing when you OC. Again, I don't mean to sound like an butt ... but the questions you are asking, for the most part, are questions you should already know the answer to before attempting overclocks of any caliber.

Reading is your friend.

I can OC up to 3.8GHz properly, but after that is where only the skilled will prevail. I currently cannot. I will leave the current oc as it is, and continue to read and understand the advanced terms of overclocking, as my own system specs. I am determined to get this done. I don't care what happens, I am prepared for the consequences, and learn from my mistakes as it is the only way to truly appreciate everything that I am doing. Knowledge is Power.

Passed 16min stability test with OCCT. I think voltage might a little high for this, so I might try to down it a little...then run another 16min, if things are stable I'll go for a full hour of occt after which 2 hour prime95.

Yeah just crank up the Vcore to about 3.0v, you won't get anymore freezing EVER..Suggest you quit playing Russian Roulette in the BIOS untill you read about it, understand it, understand OC'ing, and realize what can happen if you screw it up..Which seems highly likely for you at this time.