Let the OC BEGIN!!!!!!!

sack_patrol

Ok so I started OC. Heres what happened. I only increased the fsb to 220 without touching anything else (including votage). I got 3.4Ghz. Unfortunately I didn't get to 230. My pc would freeze at the post screen (i think it was called post). I'm not sure if this is the max or if it would be fixed if I give it a little jolt. Otherwise it's...pretty neat...ocing cpu and ram.

Now, before I continue I wanna know about this freeze. Will it infact be fixed if I uped the voltage...and to what should I up it.

Also, do I touch the CPU Host/HTT Adjust Gap? It seems to change my ratio but I don't see any pattern as to how it works.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I started OC. Heres what happened. I only increased the fsb to 220 without touching anything else (including votage). I got 3.4Ghz. Unfortunately I didn't get to 230. My pc would freeze at the post screen (i think it was called post). I'm not sure if this is the max or if it would be fixed if I give it a little jolt. Otherwise it's...pretty neat...ocing cpu and ram.

Now, before I continue I wanna know about this freeze. Will it infact be fixed if I uped the voltage...and to what should I up it.

Also, do I touch the CPU Host/HTT Adjust Gap? It seems to change my ratio but I don't see any pattern as to how it works.

The freeze is your NB and HT issue. Why are you adjusting the FSB when you can just use the Multiplier on the CPU? Touching the FSB for any of the Black Edition CPU's is pointless until it comes to no more Multiplier or OCing memory etc.

This Is what I have so far, with only fsb, and setting voltage to Auto...lol. I still think that this is way too much for voltage. How much more do I need to oc so it's the right amount. (i dont wanna touch it anymore...it's kinda frustrating in my bios, I'd rather just oc till this voltage is enough for it)

Edited by ballist1x

That is the dumbest way in the world to go about OCing.

You should be using the CPU multiplier especially since you don't know how your NB/HT will be affected. I don't mean to sound like an butt ... but you should have really done more research before venturing down this path.

Overclocking your memory will give you minimal performance gains. Take it one step at a time.

Use the multiplier on the CPU to see what you can get out of it with the standard 200FSB. This way your memory, NB and HT will not be affected.

When you are adjusting the FSB you are not only adjust the CPU and RAM frequencies you are affecting the HT and NB as well. Most times, even with a SB750, going much beyond 2150-2200MHz for these ... your system just won't be stable without increasing voltages for each.

Because I want to oc my ram aswell. CPU is easy to do, but ram...i duuno how except with fsb.

How is the NB HT issue fixed?

i dont really think most people overclock there rams frequency unless they have too, like i did. but when people refer to "overclocking ram" they tighten up the timings... increase the multi until you lose stability inscrease voltages til you gain it back, with that chip 3.6-3.8 ghz would be a easy possiblity. BUT if you must.. you need to keep your ht as close to default as possible

Edited by actionstan

I am guessing this is your first overclock? If so, I can understand using the FSB for the experience...

So if you are set on using the FSB, I'll try to help.

First off, like everyone else has said, altering the FSB not only changes CPU speed, but also RAM, NB, and HTT frequencies.

These are a lot of changing variables, and ALL can potentially contribute to instability.

That said, focus on one at a time.

Start off OCing just the CPU: clock down the RAM through the divider, and do the same for the NB and HTT (initially try to keep them as close to 2000mhz as possible)

This will take all the changing variables out of the equation, so if your system is unstable, it's probably the CPU causing it.

Then once you find a stable speed, raise up each of the other three one at a time.

If CPU is stable and you raise up the RAM and it's unstable -> it's the RAM

ditto if you raise the NB

I wouldn't recommend you OC the HTT link as doing so doesn't provide any real performance gains, i dont think.

this way it's easier to pinpoint what is causing instability, but it will take longer.. have patience! :)

Thanks Fears.

I think I'll try ocing only the cpu for now...I guess I can do the ram later (even if it's underclocked >.> cuz of crucials failsafe).

Anyway, heres what I got. I tried for 4.0Ghz but the pc would keep restarting before reaching the windows logo. Tried raising the voltage to 1.4 but still no luck. Logic tells me that NOW is thet time to use fsb, when only multiplier no longer does the job? (I'm probably wrong).

Edited by ballist1x

did you make a huge jump to 4.0ghz? i would not recommend doing that either haha

if using the multi, just to x1 at a time and test using IntelBurnTest, or OCCT, if unstable raise the vcore a bit and try again

and at 4.0 ghz, your NB might start to bottleneck, which yes, that can affect stability at high 3.x GHz and up...'

Also, I don't know if it was just my Asus mobo that did this or if it is for all AM3 mobos, but there was an option like CPU-ExtraOV which, if Vcore was left on Auto, would add 0.1v or 0.3v to the vcore if it needed it, and this caused a whole lot of headache with me... so i recommend you manually set the default voltage in bios instead of leaving it on auto and work from there.

You'll find a blend of the bus speed and multiplier increases yields you your highest overall stable overclock. It looks like you've just about found the top end of both. A blend of the two will take you higher.

I made a jump from 3.6 to 4.0 (ops :] ), then I let it chill at 3.7. Vcore currently at default (manually set) 1.264 V.

Basically right now this is the max I can get out of the cpu just by poking the multi.

What is next step? I'm guessing that I gotta do something to the NB so that I can run 4.0. Before that I wanna go 3.8-3.9, but again I think that I have to adjust NB...I just dunno how :[