NVIDIA to kill GTX-series?

Zertz

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Test run? GT300 is a MUCH larger (3.1 billion transistors vs 260 million). As you are probably aware, GT300 is not even comparable to this GT210/220 core and if, as you say, they rely on this to successfully manufacture GT300, they're in trouble. The HD4770, at 826 million transistors, was a lot closer to a test run.

If by "new areas" you weren't refering to PhysX, see above. There's nothing new in today's launch.

Nobody talked about PhysX before now, so I'll simply ignore the rest of the post ;)

We're just mocking the fact that this card isn't even comparable to a year old HD4670.

uhm?????

maybe i was referring to the 40nm process?

I think thats kinda a big deal, or at least it is when ati does it.

and also there was this:

When it comes to business there is no good guy or bad guy. There is profit. Remember the overheating nvidia mobile GPUs that they tried to ignore and hoped would just go away? Nvidia isn't altruistic. Yes getting temporarily pushed out of the chipset business will hurt them. Although I don't feel to sorry for them. How much do they charge for their SLI stamp of approval? How good were their nvidia chipsets the last 2 years? They had great chipsets previously with socket A boards. They fell behind with the socket 775 of their own accord. I can't think of a single well made nvidia chipset that has come out in quite some time. Will nvidia chipsets really be missed?

I don't think of nvidia as the evil villian. I don't think of them as green armored heroes either. It's their use of proprietary things like PhysX that cast them in a negative light. They may have offered it to other developers and manufacturers but there were strings attached. I don't fault them from a business standpoint but rather from a consumer standpoint. Without hacks or patches I can't use an ATI card and an nvidia card at the same time because nvidia decided to disable PhysX when an ATI card is also in the system. I bought the nvidia card for the PhysX. Now nvidia comes along and tells me after I've bought the card that I can't use it for my intended purpose. That I resent. Why can't I use both? Because nvidia doesn't want me to. Nvidia took my money in exchange for a video card. I own it and they still treat it as if they own it. This doesn't hurt ATI as much as it hurts the consumer. Nvidia seems to have forgotten us when they made this decision. This is for the average user not the DIY self builders who will take the time to find workarounds. ATI isn't innocent in this either.

It's like two kids on a playground who fight whenever they get near each other. Lucid has to come along and tell them to play nice or no more recess. Nobody gets to play kickball until these 2 jackasses figure out how to coexist. For now I dislike them both equally.

Let Intel push their Larabee GPU. From what I've seen so far it's of little threat. It underperforms most onboard nvidia solutions already in existence. ATI's onboard solutions appear stronger than Larabee as well. Intel can't charge a premium for it as it stands due to the GPUs lack of performance with it's early showings.

which is before where my post comes in, then mine comes after this, its in the order of which post are posted

. so simply ignore the rest of the post if you like, but you probably wasnt keeping track, anyway so what does it matter?

ATI didn't have the funds to pay the licensing fees that nVidia would have asked for and they'd leave nVidia as the sole holder of the technology they'd be depending on.

Ha ha ha ha

thats funny!!!!

That's a completely incorrect analogy. It suggests that people are whining that their dedicated PhysX card wasn't free.

Is that not what every is whining about? lets see Waco says ati couldnt afford Physx, and everyone else says Nvidia should give it away to them for free via an open free standard.

How is this complicated?

Everyone against Nvidia cards bring up the fact that they are too expensive. On the other hand: PhysX, believe or not, costs money do develop and everyone is mad because they dont have it with an ATI card for free.

Now ppl are gonna bring up the fact that nvidia doesnt offically support physX in a second card with ATI gpus installed, but before you go that far take a step back and look. ATI didnt want to pay for physX, and thats why its not in ATI gpus capabilities. That none would be upset if they got it for free, just like if i got a hybrid for free, i could save money on gas then!

But if you cant see that far back then right now, every ATI owner could buy a Nvidia GPU for physX, if they want to spend the money, its 100% possible, and plausible, but its not free, it does work.

Nvidia just told everyone that they couldnt spend all the money required to fix issues related to a second card for physX along with an ATI card in the system. Now this could all be BS, but i wouldnt doubt if their was some issue, and rather then make physX look bad for to working in every configuration, they took an easier cheaper route. Nvidia would have to personally buy all ATI card just to troubleshoot this problem configurations, and since ATI doesnt think physX is something they want for their owners, they have decided to boycott physX entirely, I doubt they would be of any help with these issues.

ATI doesnt want physX to succeed, they have special interest in seeing it fail. ATI could afford physX, they could support it, and all ATI owners could have it with driver updates. but instead we all blame nvidia. Thats just nonsense. Ati has been doing very very well lately. They dont have a dime invested in physX, not one cent. But this is nvidias fault? They should give it away for free, to a company that hasnt even acknowledged it to be worth anything.

I am not an ATI hater, i actually love ATI cards. But when it comes to physX, ATI is at a much larger fault. They arent even working on a advanced physics for the GPU at all. They are still trying to find some company to do it for them and give it to them for free. I cant see where that is acceptable. Who again is working for the gamer, and who is working only for their own profits. Why is ATI not giving its card owners all the efforts. Why is nvidia the only company invested in physX, why could not ATI join in. Its not like Nvidia is keeping ATI from having this, they just refuse to pay anything for it. Let us all ride on the cape feathers of nvidias investment. and blame them for the fact ATI chose to not have physX in their gpus.

Nvidia does more with their money then ATI fanboys realize, I dont see ATI pushing anything, just whining and expected other companies to do all the work, and hand them a freebie!

I love you guyz!!!!

but remember ATI is pocketing your money too

Wow ocre damn nice post :)

You have alot of valid points.

Why is ATI not giving its card owners all the efforts. - Drivers come to mind here never mind physX <_ why is it that we have to wait months for drivers when nvidia has them coming out as much times a month doesn seem be alot of effort from ati. this nothing new been going on years>

Why is ATI not giving its card owners all the efforts. - Drivers come to mind here never mind physX <_<

I've never had any driver issues with ATI, my cards have always worked great, maybe they weren't getting their 100% potential but at any point in time my cards were able to max the game I was playing out anyway even if that only took 60% of the cards attention. I guess in high stress situations, you may have a good argument (and with your 30" monitor I guess you do need every bit of GPU strength available) but the only "driver issues" I've ever had were with a 9800GX2 (nvidia) where the card performed worse than an 8600GTS in FarCry2 and then I installed newer drivers and the game wouldn't boot up (as well as making Devil May Cry 4 not boot up anymore) So i reverted back to the old drivers and just played devil may cry 4 until I said screw this and put my 4870 back in. where all games both games were easily maxed without any headaches. I heard so many good things about the 9800GX2 too... but the 4870 just worked.

Though since and before then I haven't had any issues from either company. so fingers crossed (just wanted to share my tale for people that think nvidia's drivers are perfect)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Oh I never said Nvidia's drivers were perfect my comment was based on the effort made between the two.

We always seem to have driver issues with different stuff we test and they usually get fixed after the next driver update its just frustrating waiting for so damn long sometimes.

Oh I never said Nvidia's drivers were perfect my comment was based on the effort made between the two.

We always seem to have driver issues with different stuff we test and they usually get fixed after the next driver update its just frustrating waiting for so damn long sometimes.

This is true, wish they would shoot for a higher out of the gate performance guess I've just been lucky I've played games that didn't need all of my cards power.

and lose his warantee? great idea.

if one's smart enough not to spend $30 extra dollars for the same hardware than one is smart enough not to brick one's card. I bios flashed the poop outta my 260 and never bricked it.

just keep the original bios backed up and then if something goes wrong flash 'er right back

Edited by IVIYTH0S

if one's smart enough not to spend $30 extra dollars for the same hardware than one is smart enough not to brick one's card. I bios flashed the poop outta my 260 and never bricked it.

just keep the original bios backed up and then if something goes wrong flash 'er right back

but your warranty is still gone, and the card could fail no matter how smart you are. :P

Is that not what every is whining about?

How is this complicated?

Everyone against Nvidia cards bring up the fact that they are too expensive. On the other hand: PhysX, believe or not, costs money do develop and everyone is mad because they dont have it with an ATI card for free.

Now ppl are gonna bring up the fact that nvidia doesnt offically support physX in a second card with ATI gpus installed, but before you go that far take a step back and look. ATI didnt want to pay for physX, and thats why its not in ATI gpus capabilities. That none would be upset if they got it for free, just like if i got a hybrid for free, i could save money on gas then!

But if you cant see that far back then right now, every ATI owner could buy a Nvidia GPU for physX, if they want to spend the money, its 100% possible, and plausible, but its not free, it does work.

Nvidia just told everyone that they couldnt spend all the money required to fix issues related to a second card for physX along with an ATI card in the system. Now this could all be BS, but i wouldnt doubt if their was some issue, and rather then make physX look bad for to working in every configuration, they took an easier cheaper route. Nvidia would have to personally buy all ATI card just to troubleshoot this problem configurations, and since ATI doesnt think physX is something they want for their owners, they have decided to boycott physX entirely, I doubt they would be of any help with these issues.

ATI doesnt want physX to succeed, they have special interest in seeing it fail. ATI could afford physX, they could support it, and all ATI owners could have it with driver updates. but instead we all blame nvidia. Thats just nonsense. Ati has been doing very very well lately. They dont have a dime invested in physX, not one cent. But this is nvidias fault? They should give it away for free, to a company that hasnt even acknowledged it to be worth anything.

I am not an ATI hater, i actually love ATI cards. But when it comes to physX, ATI is at a much larger fault. They arent even working on a advanced physics for the GPU at all. They are still trying to find some company to do it for them and give it to them for free. I cant see where that is acceptable. Who again is working for the gamer, and who is working only for their own profits. Why is ATI not giving its card owners all the efforts. Why is nvidia the only company invested in physX, why could not ATI join in. Its not like Nvidia is keeping ATI from having this, they just refuse to pay anything for it. Let us all ride on the cape feathers of nvidias investment. and blame them for the fact ATI chose to not have physX in their gpus.

Nvidia does more with their money then ATI fanboys realize, I dont see ATI pushing anything, just whining and expected other companies to do all the work, and hand them a freebie!

I love you guyz!!!!

but remember ATI is pocketing your money too

There's no whining so you can drop that already. Where your logic is failed is in the fact that it worked BEFORE nvidia's new driver release. They purposely disabled the ability for it to work. That is the complaint. I'm not asking for anything for free. I bought the card and own it. Nvidia believes that I shouldn't own both. Now a hacked driver patch is needed to force it to work. Who loses there? The consumer. Not nvidia and not ATI. Selfish on both counts. Though I don't see ATI's drivers disabling any features if an nvidia card is detected. I'm all for both companies making a profit but they may want to remember from who their profits are made.

If ATI doesn't want to invest in PhysX then that's fine. I can live without it-for now. When there are more than 4 games that really take advantage of PhysX(Batman AA, Cryostasis, Darkest of Days, and Mirror's Edge) then I have no problem investing in a pair of nvidia cards. I have no personal interest in either company. I'll put my money in whichever card is the best value in my own opinion into my systems. I like to read reviews and come to my own conclusions based upon available data versus cost.

This is just my opinion but I think alot of the recent perception of these two companies goes back to the 8800 variants price premium and how quickly they dropped in the face of the 4850/4870 launch. Nvidia really appeared greedy then. Their overheating mobile GPUs didn't win any PR battles for them either. That's been the perception of the two companies recently. I think they both have earned their reputations.

ATI is of course no innocent party by not investing in adequete driver support and lacking in both an implementable physics engine or working closely enough with developers. Hopefully they're changing that and the bullet engine development will give ATI owners something that they can use, as well as nvidia card owners. Then the consumer wins.

but your warranty is still gone, and the card could fail no matter how smart you are. :P

not if I flash it back, how're they gonna know?? In addition to smart, I was implying careful. As long as there is a backup card, you can never truly brick a card from soft modding, though I've never had to use mine.

To simplify things, I'm sure that this PureVideo tech (that I'm sure is in the 8800GT's drivers anyway) is not worth more than $30 saved (in the rare case it isn't just software implemented in the 8800GT's drivers).

I dare say that nvidia should have it's warranty voided since all they did was take an 8800GT and make a bios swap. :lol:

Edited by IVIYTH0S