• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha ha, you guys, lol

boy his has been a popular thread.

But i am gonna say this once again, its ATI's fault, they turned down the physx offer, so its their fault.

Anyone who wants to run physX with an ATI card can do it easily, with minimal effort. And the only reason they have to put any effort in it is because its officially unsupported.

What makes it unsupported is the fact that nvidia disabled this feature with their latest drivers, otherwise it would be supported, so i dont get waco's insisting that they could still support it with a driver but call it unsupported? then actually it wouldnt be unsupported would it? if the driver supported it it would support it, correct?

It is unsupported because nvidia decided it wasnt worth their time and resources to invest in troubleshooting ATI configurations, after all ATI doesnt think physX is what their GPU owners want anyway. And i doubt seriously that they are helpful with issues related to configurations with their cards and physX. After all, it would benefit them more if physX was to fail.

I also think ATI could step up to the plate and invest in physX, i think this is the reason why nvidia isnt supporting configurations with their card, it really is not their responsibility now. They officially made that clear when they officially decide that those configurations where unsupported through their drivers which disable the feature. They didnt stop ppl from using old drivers. And you can install the stand alone physx to run newer games, BTW.

ATI could also work with nvidia to fix these issues, but i dont think they have offered any aid to nvidia for physX. If they did they would have announce it. All they ever announce is the fact that physX isnt open to their use for free as an open standard. And unless its open and free ATI isnt gonna have anything to do with it.

Please understand, ATI has a much larger role in this then you are acknowledging. Absolutely the ball was in their court when nvidia offered them physX, and they just didnt play. Not at all. Its not like nvidia wasnt trying to make this work for everyone. Its not like that at all, as you believe.

Yes nvidia wants to make money, Yes they do. ATI wants to make money as well, they sure do. But when it comes to physX, and GPU physics, only one company who has invested a worth while investment thats now having results which to make this happen, the other wants them to do the work and give it to them for free. I like what nvidia is doing with its money, its already been proven that ATI makes a better profit with their products then Nvidia, why is physX all on the N card? Do you have any idea how much it costs them to make this come only this far? where is ATI in this? they havent put their money up, why cant they come out with a physX altirnative if nothing else? I know every says nvidia is greedy but geez, they are doing a lot for their smaller profit. Can you see at least that much? ATI is a tid bit greedy as well, cant you say it, but i see a little more freebies when you pay for an nvidia card. You get freebies and they make even less profits on top of the fact that they are already getting less.

What is ATI's excuse?

Edited by ocre

Ha ha, you guys, lol

boy his has been a popular thread.

But i am gonna say this once again, its ATI's fault, they turned down the physx offer, so its their fault.

Anyone who wants to run physX with an ATI card can do it easily, with minimal effort. And the only reason they have to put any effort in it is because its officially unsupported.

What makes it unsupported is the fact that nvidia disabled this feature with their latest drivers, otherwise it would be supported, so i dont get waco's insisting that they could still support it with a driver but call it unsupported? then actually it wouldnt be unsupported would it? if the driver supported it it would support it, correct?

It is unsupported because nvidia decided it wasnt worth their time and resources to invest in troubleshooting ATI configurations, after all ATI doesnt think physX is what their GPU owners want anyway. And i doubt seriously that they are helpful with issues related to configurations with their cards and physX. After all, it would benefit them more if physX was to fail.

I also think ATI could step up to the plate and invest in physX, i think this is the reason why nvidia isnt supporting configurations with their card, it really is not their responsibility now. They officially made that clear when they officially decide that those configurations where unsupported through their drivers which disable the feature. They didnt stop ppl from using old drivers. And you can install the stand alone physx to run newer games, BTW.

ATI could also work with nvidia to fix these issues, but i dont think they have offered any aid to nvidia for physX. If they did they would have announce it. All they ever announce is the fact that physX isnt open to their use for free as an open standard. And unless its open and free ATI isnt gonna have anything to do with it.

Please understand, ATI has a much larger role in this then you are acknowledging. Absolutely the ball was in their court when nvidia offered them physX, and they just didnt play. Not at all. Its not like nvidia wasnt trying to make this work for everyone. Its not like that at all, as you believe.

Yes nvidia wants to make money, Yes they do. ATI wants to make money as well, they sure do. But when it comes to physX, and GPU physics, only one company who has invested a worth while investment thats now having results which to make this happen, the other wants them to do the work and give it to them for free. I like what nvidia is doing with its money, its already been proven that ATI makes a better profit with their products then Nvidia, why is physX all on the N card? Do you have any idea how much it costs them to make this come only this far? where is ATI in this? they havent put their money up, why cant they come out with a physX altirnative if nothing else? I know every says nvidia is greedy but geez, they are doing a lot for their smaller profit. Can you see at least that much? ATI is a tid bit greedy as well, cant you say it, but i see a little more freebies when you pay for an nvidia card. You get freebies and they make even less profits on top of the fact that they are already getting less.

What is ATI's excuse?

but they don't have to troubleshoot anything, they just need to flip a switch to the on mode. We don't care if it works 100% but anything's better than 0% (and chances are it will work 100% and that's what they're afraid of)

If some random guy can flip the switch for us, then I don't see how nvidia's wiz kids can't just do the same. (It's not like while he enabled it, he went through the trouble of optimizing every nvidia card with ever ati card, he just turned a 0 to a 1) They are still getting the money (unless people are smart and will only buy old used 8800GT's) but either way we're still running their hardware, which through the trading of money becomes OUR hardware and thus we have the right to see it work. Nvidia can't steal what we paid for in hard cash, I don't care about the politics between ati and nvidia. I just want my blasted card to work without having to not restart and run a driver hack :lol:

Edited by IVIYTH0S

You don't understand how the driver works, that's fine.

Using the cards as standalone PPUs is already supported. They don't have to do ANYTHING to allow it to work with an ATI card. Just because something isn't locked out doesn't make it supported.

That, and stop making up the situation where PhysX on nVidia cards in a system with an ATI card is "easy with minimal effort required." It's not. It's a pain in the butt because nVidia locked out something that they didn't have to touch at all.

This is getting quite old. You're blaming ATI for something nVidia has done. Yes, ATI could have taken the PhysX deal and then we'd be locked into proprietary crap and ATI GPUs would be more expensive. No thank you. :rolleyes:

Edited by Waco

Apples has decided to implement a wireless device in their lineup of iPods that scans for any Microsoft product (PC running Windows, Xbox, Zune, etc.) within 20 meters of the iPod that will disable said device. Apple has spent millions on this project to prevent any confusion caused by an unsupported configuration of using a Microsoft product to charge an iPod (such as an Xbox).

Apples has decided to implement a wireless device in their lineup of iPods that scans for any Microsoft product (PC running Windows, Xbox, Zune, etc.) within 20 meters of the iPod that will disable said device. Apple has spent millions on this project to prevent any confusion caused by an unsupported configuration of using a Microsoft product to charge an iPod (such as an Xbox).

Any Mac OSX computer any distance away from a Microsoft product can't play games lol

Edited by IVIYTH0S

but they don't have to troubleshoot anything, they just need to flip a switch to the on mode. We don't care if it works 100% but anything's better than 0% (and chances are it will work 100% and that's what they're afraid of)

If some random guy can flip the switch for us, then I don't see how nvidia's wiz kids can't just do the same. (It's not like while he enabled it, he went through the trouble of optimizing every nvidia card with ever ati card, he just turned a 0 to a 1) They are still getting the money (unless people are smart and will only buy old used 8800GT's) but either way we're still running their hardware, which through the trading of money becomes OUR hardware and thus we have the right to see it work. Nvidia can't steal what we paid for in hard cash, I don't care about the politics between ati and nvidia. I just want my blasted card to work without having to not restart and run a driver hack :lol:

If Nvidia makes any more attempts at stopping ATI users from physX, i will be all on your side. But as of now they just simply made their newer drivers un-supportive of ATI gpus along with physX, they had issues and decided it wasnt worth them spending money to sort it out. Now if they go any further, which i doubt and you all know they can, then i will be all up in this .^ on your side. If they dont do anymore could you at least see it the other way, just a tid bit. Can you give a little. Would that not show you that they just changed their drivers so as to not support these configurations, and they arent going all out of their way to punish ATI owners. See what apple does, now thats a real effort. They simply changed their drivers so as to prevent a setup that they had no way to QC properly. Its not that big of a deal, they really couldve went a lot further. They still have the older drivers on their website and they offer stand alone physx updates just as well. They couldve already stopped the stand alone physX updates, ppl have being doing it that way since their official unsupported drivers came out.

When they truely show a real effort against ATI owners and one thats really against them, i will be on your side. But their are other reasons behind this, ones that dont seem to matter at all to some ppl. I just see they left the ability for any ATI owner to roll back and update physX only as proof that they arent out to get you, just out to save their own butt. ATI issues arent their responsibility!

If Nvidia makes any more attempts at stopping ATI users from physX, i will be all on your side. But as of now they just simply made their newer drivers un-supportive of ATI gpus along with physX, they had issues and decided it wasnt worth them spending money to sort it out. Now if they go any further, which i doubt and you all know they can, then i will be all up in this .^ on your side. If they dont do anymore could you at least see it the other way, just a tid bit. Can you give a little. Would that not show you that they just changed their drivers so as to not support these configurations, and they arent going all out of their way to punish ATI owners. See what apple does, now thats a real effort. They simply changed their drivers so as to prevent a setup that they had no way to QC properly. Its not that big of a deal, they really couldve went a lot further. They still have the older drivers on their website and they offer stand alone physx updates just as well. They couldve already stopped the stand alone physX updates, ppl have being doing it that way since their official unsupported drivers came out.

When they truely show a real effort against ATI owners and one thats really against them, i will be on your side. But their are other reasons behind this, ones that dont seem to matter at all to some ppl. I just see they left the ability for any ATI owner to roll back and update physX only as proof that they arent out to get you, just out to save their own butt. ATI issues arent their responsibility!

ya but the old driver and updated standalone physx way didn't work for me. (In mirror's edge, since that's the only physx game I have right now)

It took that very generous member of society that made the driver hack for me to enjoy physx in M.E. (but of course it came out the day after I beat it)

In this post, I'll simply reiterate what's already been said, doing so by quoting previous replies.

Hypothetical situation 1:

I buy an 8800GT to run PhysX. I install the newest drivers. I can't use it for PhysX.

Hypothetical situation 2:

I buy an 8800GT to run PhysX. I install the older drivers. I can't play newer games properly.

Hypothetical situation 3:

I buy an 8800GT to run PhysX. I install the newest drivers and hack them to work. I can't update without waiting for another hack to come out.

Every case above would be solved by nVidia not actively blocking the use of an nVidia card as a PhysX accelerator. It's not a case of "wanting PhysX for free because I have an ATI card." It's wanting the nVidia card I bought to work without pointless interference because someone decided that "unsupported" means "actively block this configuration."

Blocking users from a certain configuration required effort by nVidia. Doing nothing requires no time investment on nVidia's part and certainly doesn't negatively affect their drivers...

Unsupported is unsupported...no effort required.

In summation: unsupported is unsupported, no effort required

Edited by ekiM