NVIDIA to kill GTX-series?

Zertz

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's no whining so you can drop that already. Where your logic is failed is in the fact that it worked BEFORE nvidia's new driver release. They purposely disabled the ability for it to work. That is the complaint. I'm not asking for anything for free. I bought the card and own it. Nvidia believes that I shouldn't own both. Now a hacked driver patch is needed to force it to work. Who loses there? The consumer. Not nvidia and not ATI. Selfish on both counts. Though I don't see ATI's drivers disabling any features if an nvidia card is detected. I'm all for both companies making a profit but they may want to remember from who their profits are made.

I am not directing the whining at you directly, there are many ppl hating of Nvidia for not giving it to ATI for free!

My failed logic????? Lets see? your post proves I have failed logic?

This it would be much different if you were a person who bought a nvidia card for physX then afterward the driver changed and you could no longer use it. It would make since then that this should bother you.

If this were the case then i would simply try to help you get it working with the hack or an older driver with a physX update. Then i would be like its all good :thumbs-up:

but----------

This isnt the case is it. See my logic hasnt failed. This scenario you speak of is where? Where are the ppl who cant use physX and bought a card? point them to me and i will try to help them get it goin. Or if you are not to busy, you could explain the simple fix to them yourself. But instead your complaining about a hypothetical scenario. Where Nvidia is a villain, and they intentionally went against ATI owners who bought their cards for physX. That is ludicrous. There was issues with ATI and nvidia configs that nvidia didnt have the time and resources to sort out . If ATI was working with them on physX, this wouldnt have occurred. Thats what driver updates are for, to fix known issues. Not to punish ATI owners, who could just as easily download an older driver as install a new one. Where are these ppl that are to incompetent to do this? I promise i will try to help them if you tell me who they are.

The truth is the more emotion is involved there is little room for logic. And it does not get any more simpler then this:

Cause: ATI turned down physX offer

Effect: ATI owners dont have physX

but ATI blame nvidia for not giving to them for free, even though Nvidia had invested $$$$ millions $$$$ in it and ATI nothing, they turn their fans on nvidia, with public statements, and everyone eats it up without logic because they are mad now and think they deserve physX too.

Anyone who wants physX can have physX. its a very immature technology right now, it is in its infancy. It is a bit of a hassle if you want to use an ATI GPU along with physX, but ultimately that rest on ATI's shoulders, from the starting point. You can blame Nvidia all you want, but if it wasnt for them there would be no physX at all like there is today. They made it happen, ATI is what is holding physX back, blame nvidia all you want but that is the failed logic. ATI has done nothing but try to stop physX, nothing to support it. Its not a free investment. and it cost a lot to develop.

If you say you would like to see the companies work together. Then look, the only one who refused was ati from the get go. ATI is getting an open standard copenCL, because of their refusal of cuda. But the irony in this all is nvidia was one of the driving forces for the khronos group in developing openCL. Nvidia worked extremely close to the khronos group, they had a huge advantage and head start with cuda. In the end openCL turned out so so very similar to cuda. But dont thank nvidia, its ati who needed the thanking.

Just as you will most likely see a physX go openCL. It will or it will die. Then ATI would finally get what they didnt pay for, then everyone can be happy, right?

ATI is pocketing your moneys. They make mega $$$$.

All we were saying is that GT200 is slow and doesn't offer more than the competing ATI HD4670.

I won't make any other comments in this thread.

I thought this thread was about nvidia killing the GTX series, abandoning the mid and upper rang GPUs, and ultimately going under?

remember the article in the first post:

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/06/nvi...igh-end-market/

It says nvidia sux, sux, sux and

they are gonna die die die,

then the last line is the best, which is my favorite

"At $1 per year, Jen-Hsun is overpaid."

I felt obliged to defend poor old nvidia. I think they do a lot for the advancement of PC's.........Just look, now these days anyone can have a home supercomputer!!!!

isnt that awesome, i never thought i would ever be able to own a supercomputer, in my own home!!!

Do you remember the pictures from the eighties of supercomputer labs, how huge and amassing they were!

Didnt nvidia help bring home the supercomputer?

Isnt nvidia somewhat responsible for at least this much?

They cant be all that bad can they?

Oh! wait what was that about the GT200?

if i said the gt200 sux then it fits the topic.......somehow?????

I get it...... this is the i hate nvidia and they cant compete thread, lol

Edited by ocre

I am not directing the whining at you directly, there are many ppl hating of Nvidia for not giving it to ATI for free!

My failed logic????? Lets see? your post proves I have failed logic?

There was issues with ATI and nvidia configs that nvidia didnt have the time and resources to sort out . If ATI was working with them on physX, this wouldnt have occurred.

Don't take it as a personal shot to your ego.

The only thing ludicrous here is the length of your posts and the way you talk down to everyone who disagrees with your point of view. I can quote your posts on several occassions if you think that's wrong.

If you'll look through the threads here in the video cards and monitors section you'll see who posted the hacked patch to make this work http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=168440 . Your help isn't needed. There's also a sticky guide http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=167914 . That's not tthe issue so I won't bother addressing that again.

What issues exactly? What was corrected to expand the consumer's experience?. You make reference to it but never say exactly what the issue is. Nvidia doesn't have the time or resources? You can sell it but I'm not buying that excuse. They had plenty of time to block PhysX from working when they designed the new drivers. It worked before so what were the problems that so desperately needed to be fixed? It worked fine before nvidia updated their drivers to intentionally block the ability of anyone buying from their competitor regardless of the fact that they also bought an nvidia card. That's just punishing the consumer, nothing more. Nobody is asking here that I've seen for nvidia to give anything to ATI. They just would like for nvidia to stop punishing them for choosing a competitor's card as well as an nvidia card. Why can't I have both without nvidia intentionally blocking their own cards from being utilized? It's about ownership. I buy the card-it's mine to do with as I please. I shouldn't have to use hacks or patches to make it work. Just quit blocking me from using my card the way I want to use it. They're taking "The way it's meant to be played" a little too far. It's a dirty practice that hurts the end-user not ATI. A better way to entice me as a customer would be to let me use my card for PhysX and see how much better their product is. Why isn't the fact that ATI doesn't have PhysX punishment enough?

You can't seperate ATI from AMD. Last I heard they were losing money and have been for quite some time.

Don't take any of this personally. It's late and I'm tired. If it sounded harsh then I will apologize in this thread.

Nvidia has done a lot of good and I recognize that fact. They don't however need anyone to stand up for them. They hold the marketshare lead, have the most powerful GPUs just over the horizon, a lock on PhysX where their competitor has nothing, the best driver support of the 2 main GPU manufacturer's, a nice game developer relationship, and are a profitable company making good money.

...everyone else says Nvidia should give it away to them for free via an open free standard.

Uh...nobody said anything of the sort. Nobody is asking nVidia to give away PhysX for free via an open standard. They're asking for ANYONE to come up with an open standard that's accepted by all the major players so we aren't stuck with this stupid situation where nVidia is restricting what people can do with the cards they paid good money for.

The truth is the more emotion is involved there is little room for logic. And it does not get any more simpler then this:

You've over-simplified it yet again.

ATI turned down the offer for various reasons; all of them reasonable.

ATI owners who BOUGHT nVidia cards to run PhysX now can't. That's not "wanting something for free." That's called "getting what you paid for." They have every reason to be pissed that nVidia is blocking them from using the card they paid for.

Also - could you please make your posts a bit shorter? You rant on and on for so long that your point is usually lost among insults and non-sequiturs.

There are no ppl who cant run physX and bought a card for it (double negative version.. lol), i am still looking all over the net for them, i will help them if i can, but your right my help isnt needed. So i dont understand why you keep bringing it up.

I do not mean to sound like i am talkn down to anyone, a million apologies for it, i dont want anyone taking it the wrong way. I am debating a very unpopular view, which i am doing forcefully, I dont know how to be light and make a point, i really am not even the slightest heated up.

Believe it or not, nvidia is in a little bit of a pickle. They are running out of road and pushing into new directions full force trying to make a new market for them that didnt even exist. Its a little too ambitious in a lot of ways. I am only rooting for them in a thread whos 1st post is an article that is celebrating its demise, and it hasnt even happened yet. I am trying to bring balance and a little more understanding.

I dont think the world is quite ready for the gt300 features, not the average home computers. I dont see how they can compete in a price fashion at all. I do believe AMD/ATI do have a tremendous upper-hand this round. But its like they are always on the fence. They should be leading with fusion but intel will come out with the first real cpu/gpu, while AMD/ATI sits back and then moves. I think nvidia is making desperate swings while ati/amd is sitting on the fence watching. But you must realize that they couldve contributed to physX, not a dime spent from them. and they are making so good $$$ off their GPUs too. Why dont they get involved? Because they dont have to at all, their gonna sit back and watch Nvidia run out of steam, with the advantages they have they aren't going anywhere.

Nvidia is in real threat, if the gtx300 fails, that is probably it for nvidia. Its like almost way too ambitious at the gate. But I dont want anyone to feel sorry for them....do you see it is importants to be polar opposite to a post with charlie celebrating Nvidias self destruction. especially when i do see a real threat, even if it is self made, they have done many worthy things for the home PC user

Edited by ocre

There are no ppl who cant run physX and bought a card for it

Well...there's nothing to say other than you're wrong. :huh:

But you must realize that they couldve contributed to physX, not a dime spent from them. and they are making so good $$$ off their GPUs too. Why dont they get involved? Because they dont have to at all, their gonna sit back and watch Nvidia run out of steam, with the advantages they have they aren't going anywhere.

Where do you come up with this stuff? :lol:

I'm not going to waste any more time arguing with you though; obviously you're 100% correct about everything and we're all just too stupid to see the truth. :lol:

Edited by Waco

Well...there's nothing to say other than you're wrong. :huh:

if there are people out there that can't, it's their own fault. there is no reason for anyone to use the non working driver. their configuration was never officially supported... this is really simple and i can't believe you're arguing over it. he's not wrong at all.

obviously you're 100% correct about everything and we're all just too stupid to see the truth. :lol:

not stupid, stubborn.

ocre, you should probably just quit, waco is splitting hairs to disagree with you

their configuration was never officially supported...

I'm sorry you can't see the difference between not supporting something and actively preventing people from doing it.

What would you do if Intel completely locked you out from overclocking your CPU? What if they made it so you couldn't use anything except for an Intel GPU with their CPUs? You'd be singing a very different song...

not stupid, stubborn.

ocre, you should probably just quit, waco is splitting hairs to disagree with you

Yes, we're the ones being stubborn. Right. :lol:

I don't disagree with anyone just to do so (well, I used to with Queenz :P).

Edited by Waco

Where are the ppl who cant use physX and bought a card?

Any ATI user who bought an additional Nvidia card to use PhysX no longer can.

There was issues with ATI and nvidia configs that nvidia didnt have the time and resources to sort out.

So your solution to something partially working is to shut it down completely, because that's totally better than leaving a half operating unit in its state? You're right, let's kill all the crippled and mentally disabled; after all, if it's not working 100%, by your logic, it's best to end it.

No, you see, the cause is correct, but your effect isn't. ATI users aren't trying to get PhysX; ATI and Nvidia users are. ATI turned down the offer to implement PhysX on their own cards, not on an independent PPU in the system.

ATI is what is holding physX back, blame nvidia all you want but that is the failed logic. ATI has done nothing but try to stop physX, nothing to support it.

Good stuff; I, along with any other consumer, absolutely hate anything that's proprietary.

Once again, good stuff, ATI is pretty damn poor compared to Nvidia at the moment.

I felt obliged to defend poor old nvidia. I think they do a lot for the advancement of PC's.........Just look, now these days anyone can have a home supercomputer!!!!

isnt that awesome, i never thought i would ever be able to own a supercomputer, in my own home!!!

Do you remember the pictures from the eighties of supercomputer labs, how huge and amassing they were!

Didnt nvidia help bring home the supercomputer?

Isnt nvidia somewhat responsible for at least this much?

They cant be all that bad can they?

Ok, so you're defending Nvidia with a claim that they put supercomputers in people's houses... while we're attacking Nvidia for forcing their own cards to not work when it's in a system with another card. Good logic my friend.

Oh! wait what was that about the GT200?

if i said the gt200 sux then it fits the topic.......somehow?????

Totally fits in the topic. This topic is about the GTX series.

There are no ppl who cant run physX and bought a card for it

LOL. ATI users who bought Nvidia cards. Lots of them out there.

Believe it or not, nvidia is in a little bit of a pickle. They are running out of road and pushing into new directions full force trying to make a new market for them that didnt even exist. Its a little too ambitious in a lot of ways. I am only rooting for them in a thread whos 1st post is an article that is celebrating its demise, and it hasnt even happened yet. I am trying to bring balance and a little more understanding.

Yeah, if Nvidia is no longer good enough to compete in the gaming market, it's good that they're retreating to a market that isn't dominated by one company yet; hypothetically speaking of course. Everyone understands that.

while AMD/ATI sits back and then moves.

You keep talking about how AMD/ATI is sitting back doing nothing, waiting for others to battle it out, when they're the only ones who have so far released a new generation GPU? We're still waiting for Nvidia or Intel; they're the ones who aren't putting out anything new at the moment.

I just want to let you know, the only thing people are pissed off about is how Nvidia killed the ability for their cards to work as an independent PPU, and how they faked a card without letting people know so. But besides that, the products that they do put out are quality and provide some damn good competition; no one is arguing that.

Edited by tkrow21

Any ATI user who bought an additional Nvidia card to use PhysX no longer can.

So your solution to something partially working is to shut it down completely, because that's totally better than leaving a half operating unit in its state? You're right, let's kill all the crippled and mentally disabled; after all, if it's not working 100%, by your logic, it's best to end it.

No, you see, the cause is correct, but your effect isn't. ATI users aren't trying to get PhysX; ATI and Nvidia users are. ATI turned down the offer to implement PhysX on their own cards, not on an independent PPU in the system.

Good stuff; I, along with any other consumer, absolutely hate anything that's proprietary.

Once again, good stuff, ATI is pretty damn poor compared to Nvidia at the moment.

Ok, so you're defending Nvidia with a claim that they put supercomputers in people's houses... while we're attacking Nvidia for forcing their own cards to not work when it's in a system with another card. Good logic my friend.

Totally fits in the topic. This topic is about the GTX series.

LOL. ATI users who bought Nvidia cards. Lots of them out there.

Yeah, if Nvidia is no longer good enough to compete in the gaming market, it's good that they're retreating to a market that isn't dominated by one company yet; hypothetically speaking of course. Everyone understands that.

You keep talking about how AMD/ATI is sitting back doing nothing, waiting for others to battle it out, when they're the only ones who have so far released a new generation GPU? We're still waiting for Nvidia or Intel; they're the ones who aren't putting out anything new at the moment.

I just want to let you know, the only thing people are pissed off about is how Nvidia killed the ability for their cards to work as an independent PPU, and how they faked a card without letting people know so. But besides that, the products that they do put out are quality and provide some damn good competition; no one is arguing that.

did someone just bring the smack down...? (aka i have nothing useful to add)

Edited by actionstan