NVIDIA to kill GTX-series?

Zertz

That's exactly what they intended to do by locking out those configurations.

Eh, . it. It's not worth getting this whole argument started again only to have you return to your original (and incorrect) assertions.

OMG! my assertions never changed????? Not at all

Do you still not understand .........it wasnt to punish those very small number of ppl, it was to try to get brand new sales of the gtx series when they have little else to compete on right now. It had nothing to do with the ppl who already bought ATI cards and physX although it did effect them. And they left the old drivers on site as well as stand alone physX drivers so their cards were never useless.

I cant believe you dont get it, still. You are not that shallow.

This move has many politics involved and none of them were to punish ATI owners. This was a decision based on a lot of things but in the end their hopes were to persuade anyone who was going to buy a new GPU these days to consider that if they want physX they should get an Nvidia GPU, becasue Nvidia only official supports physX in an all Nvidia system. It had nothing to do with the ppl who already bought this configuration, this was to try and have sales when they couldnt compete with the 5XXX series much in any other way. Get over it, it wasnt an attack against ATI owners, it wasnt an attempt to get them to buy an nvidia card to replace the ATI. it was to get the ppl who were just trying to decide what to buy a reason to get a gtx 200 series.

I hope you can at least except this much, my stance has never changed. I am tryin to relate but it seems no matter what i say, some ppl choose to think about this all backwards. From the beginning i havent change anything. ATI and physX card owners can still download the older drivers and a physX update from the nvidia website. I have only heard of one person (ivi) that had issues with that on an older game, but they never removed the drivers that allow for this. They wasnt trying to punish those ppl, they were aiming at getting new sales for the gtx200 series cards in the wake of the ATI 5XXX. Like today, yesterday, and next week if someone wanted to buy a new GPU, they may want physX, well now they have a reason to buy the gtx 275 when the 5850 eats it alive, and there is nothing nvidia can do about it execpt use the physX to their advantage. It is a bad situation they are in, they have got to sell their cards,

Can you understand now that it wasnt to do with the few ppl that had those configurations before the driver change? It is not even complicated, but i guess it gets attention, and sounds so good, like tabloid good, huh. I give up, say what you want, but Nvidia could do a lot more if their intent was to punish ATI/Nvidia ppu owners. I am sorry if thats as far as you can see, but it is not the case. Everyone who bought into those configurations still can have it even without a driver hack. All the drivers necessary are still available to them on the nvidia website. But say what you like.....

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah more and more it seems they make these energy efficent things that seemingly do nuthing extra, but they can charge a premium for them because everyone is all Eco Aware now and they figure spending a few extra dollars will save the planet.

I don't mind things getting more efficient, there just shouldn't be a trade off in function to gain further efficiency

@ocre, I know Nvidia didn't MEAN to hurt ATI users but they sure didn't undo their boo boo. we're up to the 191's now and physx started being disabled in the 186's...therefore it's not like they are apologetic and the 187's reinstated it. Physx is not available with out 1 of the 2 work arounds that people have cooked up

Edited by IVIYTH0S

This sucks I had been avoiding this thread because of all the hate (and reading), but I finally read the link in the OP and saw that it said exactly what I was about to make a thread about. So for your amusement here is the what I was gonna say in the new thread:

"So I decided to go see if the price of gtx 275s had dropped on newegg, to my surprise they were $50 more exspensive then normal, between $250 and $300. So of course I'm like what the heck cause I've been waiting for the price of 275s to drop so I can consider sli. I google the phrase "gtx 275 discontinued" and it says nvidia partners are discontinuing gtx 275s and 285s because of lack of" - This is when I realize that I might be talking about what this thread says. :sigh:

Edited by xchrissypoox

yeah from the sounds of it they are making some new kind of gt200 series card at the end of this month, i posted the email they sent me about the launch of some new card a page back or so. Most I would assume would stop production, so they can tool up for fermi launch, but i have noclue as to what this new nvidia / evga card will be, guess we find out on the 30th.

I'm betting on a refresh of the entire 200 line, all 40nm, more efficient, cheaper to make, and probably they'll bump the clocks up really higher or add shader cores to level the playing field. That's about all I think they'd be able to do. Considering the poopers (gt210, gt220) they were probably just made to test out the new process.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

This sucks I had been avoiding this thread because of all the hate (and reading), but I finally read the link in the OP and saw that it said exactly what I was about to make a thread about. So for your amusement here is the what I was gonna say in the new thread:

"So I decided to go see if the price of gtx 275s had dropped on newegg, to my surprise they were $50 more exspensive then normal, between $250 and $300. So of course I'm like what the heck cause I've been waiting for the price of 275s to drop so I can consider sli. I google the phrase "gtx 275 discontinued" and it says nvidia partners are discontinuing gtx 275s and 285s because of lack of" - This is when I realize that I might be talking about what this thread says. :sigh:

An on topic post?

I noticed that the 4890s went up a small bit when the 5870 launched.

I don't mind things getting more efficient, there just shouldn't be a trade off in function to gain further efficiency

@ocre, I know Nvidia didn't MEAN to hurt ATI users but they sure didn't undo their boo boo. we're up to the 191's now and physx started being disabled in the 186's...therefore it's not like they are apologetic and the 187's reinstated it. Physx is not available with out 1 of the 2 work arounds that people have cooked up

Its not gonna happen for a while if at all. If it does its gonna be well after they finally can compete with the 5xxx series on a price performance perspective. the other option is to hold physX as a selling point until their forced to release it on openCL. Its gonna take a minute for nvidia to gain back the position it once enjoyed, if ever again at all. But i think they feel unsafe and are gripping tightly to avoid a total collapse. This is proof that they are desperate. I dont see them changing the stance until they have a better footing, or ATI gets somewhere with an open standard. I think then you will see a sudden change in physX rather then it just die away.

If nvidia does have a better 40nm 200 series card coming out soon, it might be a live saver. See they were not making much at all off those cards and they have been selling them at a price that was hurting them. Its not like they could lower the prices and enter a war. They really was in a heep of trouble. Does not their actions show this much. When has any discontinued an item their is a demand for still. You could always buy older cards even after the new series came out. Well this time nvidia drop their production long before their fermi will come. See this is very abnormal. They arent in a good position, thats why i have been defending them. Its not like they went after ATI owners, they just are really in a pickel.

things will turn around. Nvidia just bit off more then it could chew all at once. Fermi was way too ambitious and has got them behind. They put all their chips in and now they are trying to retaliate. It didnt go so smoothly and they truth sinks in. Nvidia is trying to make a road as theirs is running out. Its a push we dont really need at the moment, but the results are changing the way of the personal computer in a very accelerated pace. I just want to see things come together for them, they took some huge risks. maybe they will pay off!