NVIDIA to kill GTX-series?

Zertz

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

295 still keeps up. Why can't they do like ATI did when they weren't in the same performance category :rolleyes:

I'm assuming you mean cut prices? If so, it's most likely because they can't. GT200 is just too big and expensive, unlike the HD3000 back then

I'm assuming you mean cut prices? If so, it's most likely because they can't. GT200 is just too big and expensive, unlike the HD3000 back then

I've noticed that ATI doesn't seem to have a problem cutting prices while Nvidia does. Nvidias prices usually drop much later than ATI's. Is this because ATI anticipated that they would have to sell for less? Or that it just costs less?

I've noticed that ATI doesn't seem to have a problem cutting prices while Nvidia does. Nvidias prices usually drop much later than ATI's. Is this because ATI anticipated that they would have to sell for less? Or that it just costs less?

Since they're both built on the same manufacturing, simply looking at transistor count gives a fairly good idea:

R770 (4870) --> 956 million

GT200 (GTX) --> 1.4 billion

R870 (5870) --> 2.1 billion

GT300 --> 3 billion

ATI can thus sell cards cheaper or at the same price and rack up as much or more profits

Also, the GT200 used GDDR3 compared to the R770 that used GDDR5 and thus did not need a memory bus as wide as it. Manufacturing a 256-bit wide bus is much cheaper than a 512 or 448-bit. I am not sure on the memory chips themselves though.

wow I wonder if this is real?? As much as I pick on nvidia I wouldn't want them unable to balance ATI out once in a while :(, I hope this is just a fanboy speaking out and in reality not as serious.

I'm glad that nvidia can get the ego slapped out of them for once but I wouldn't want to see them not compete. The slap was so they didn't push as hard as they can, I mean if Intel is ever pressured they persevere and release a new chip that's cheaper and better.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

wow I wonder if this is real?? As much as I pick on nvidia I wouldn't want them unable to balance ATI out once in a while :(, I hope this is just a fanboy speaking out and in reality not as serious.

I'm glad that nvidia can get the ego slapped out of them for once but I wouldn't want to see them not compete. The slap was so they didn't push as hard as they can, I mean if Intel is ever pressured they persevere and release a new chip that's cheaper and better.

There was once a time where I liked nVidia... that was back when ATi orignally competed with them.. I'm talking way back with the 6 series and prior. Once nVidia got a few gens ahead of ATi I think their ego got the better of them which really turned me off to nVidia. Now that we see this heated competition I don't want it to kill nVidia... quite the contrary I want to see nVidia get even better for it and win me back.