RJ-45 heads, crimp, rolls of cat-6e

0o0

Hi guys I would like to start making my own cables, does anyone know a store where I can buy

-a bunch of rj-45 heads

-rolls of solid and utp cable, hopefully cat6a or cat7

-a crimp that won't break after using 2 times ;)

please suggest a Canadian store, having a location in Toronto is a plus.

also, does anyone know when the next standard is going to come to end consumers, as in 10 000baseT (10gbit/s)? I don't want to run a bunch of cable through my dad's walls just too see it being obsolete 3 months later lol. I only got into the whole networking thing recently, it seems as if cat6 is about to be replaced soon for 10gbit/s, shame that my clumsy father didn't upgrade earlier :(

Edited by 0o0

Home depot will have everything you need (you should have one in Toronto) with some good quality stuff. Although I'm failing to see why you'd need gigabit let alone 10gbit unless your running a pretty good size client/server network in a business or something.... You'd need some pretty heavy local network traffic to make use of that. Cat 6 is already future proofing enough.

Otherwise check google maps or your phone book - you'd be surprised how many mom and pop network/business/electronics stores are around.

ok I'll check home depot, but I thought they sold home hardware as in chunks of wood and stuff lol.

I'll google up how to use a phone book in a sec ;) lol

Cat6a should be fine it supports 10G Ethernet up to 100 meters.

Cat7 is still new so it's hard to find and its very expensive although it will suppose to be able to support 20G Ethernet or higher but it will probably be decades before you need that kind of bandwidth in your house.

Hell even cat5e will take 1G... and for the price difference between 6e and 5e you might want to go for the cat5e.

yea I know, I would like to get some cat6a but no one sells spools of cat6a in bulk that I know of... trying to prepare for 10gbit. I'm just gonna assume fiber optics aren't gonna take over for quite some while...

I was on monoprice and had my entire cart filled - I thought they would have a canadian warehouse outlet since they had a canadian shipping option... turned out I was wrong, spent half an hour finding the perfect crimper, a pci-sata card for my parents' old P4, a pack of heads and a 1000foot spool of cat6 (didn't have cat6a), then I got to checkout. Punched in my postal code... $80 shipping <_<

Then punched in a randeom 5 digit number, and guess what... shipping $10 :blink::blink:

Sooooo, does anyone know any canadian retailers where I can buy this kinda stuff? Checked Home Depot and by the looks of it all they have are a few crimpers and a pack of over-priced rj45 heads. NCIX is also fairly overpriced... monoprice is awesome but the shipping isn't... :unsure:

I dont know about where your at but down here home depot is about double price on cat 6 cable than http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

:blink::huh: What?

It says I'm in Canada. I know home depot is expensive, that's what I said earlier. I know monoprice is so cheap and awesome and all that, but it only applies to americans that enjoy their stupidly low shipping rate. I gotta pay 80 bucks to get a 1000ft spool up the border.

yea I know, I would like to get some cat6a but no one sells spools of cat6a in bulk that I know of... trying to prepare for 10gbit. I'm just gonna assume fiber optics aren't gonna take over for quite some while...

I was on monoprice and had my entire cart filled - I thought they would have a canadian warehouse outlet since they had a canadian shipping option... turned out I was wrong, spent half an hour finding the perfect crimper, a pci-sata card for my parents' old P4, a pack of heads and a 1000foot spool of cat6 (didn't have cat6a), then I got to checkout. Punched in my postal code... $80 shipping <_<

Then punched in a randeom 5 digit number, and guess what... shipping $10 :blink::blink:

Sooooo, does anyone know any canadian retailers where I can buy this kinda stuff? Checked Home Depot and by the looks of it all they have are a few crimpers and a pack of over-priced rj45 heads. NCIX is also fairly overpriced... monoprice is awesome but the shipping isn't... :unsure:

Did you try looking at Newegg.ca?

Cat6 should be fine.

The only good reason why most people use fiber optics in a home or business environment is because it has an extreme long range usually miles compared to most UTP which has a range of 100 meters or about 330 feet. Or if the cabling has to go through an environment that has a lot of EMI (Electro magnetic interference) because fiber optic cables are not effected by EMI. There really isn't that much of a benefit for a home user to have fiber unless they have a huge house or a lot of EMI and obviously no one uses that kind of bandwidth they provide.