Overclock Problem - BIOS

andyrp

Can anybody help with this strange problem. I have an AMD X2 64 5000+ Black Edition and Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. When I increase the multiplier in the BIOS the setting appears to save and when I return to the BIOS it shows the higher value. However in Windows 7 the multiplier is displayed as the default value of 13 when using CPU-Z, CPUID and Everest.

I thought maybe something was reducing the speed to save energy but I have disable Cool and Quiet and set my power profile to performance in Windows.

I even tried upping the bus speed to see if it was just the multiplier setting that wasn't working but also the bus speed sticks at 200 Mhz.

C1E in the bIOS is also disabled, in fact, when enabled Windows 7 hangs on the splash sreen and will not even load.

I have the latest BIOS (1701) and even flashed back to the previous BIOS but the issue remained.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by andyrp

MSI driver disks always seam to have a lot of OC'ing utilities, as said above, it sounds like you have a program running in the background thats taking over!

Check your device manager, and see whats running.

Or better yet use Ccleaner, and check your start up programs. Disable any you don't need.

You can also check your start up programs by clicking on the start button, click on Run, in the box, type msconfig, and hit Enter on your keyboard, click on the startup tab.

You'll see this

10077744.jpg

Just uncheck what you don't need to start, when you boot up your PC.

After changing anything in there, you need to reboot, after clicking on OK.

Cleared everything out that looked vaguely like it might cause an issue and even stopped a few Services from running. Then checked with CPU-Z and correct speeds were showing, however, after rebooting the problem is back again. Hijack this doesn't show anything strange and CCleaner has been used to tidy up my system and registry but to no avail.

I am even stressing the CPU with Prime 95 as I type to see if that pushes the speeds up (in case it is some power saving feature for low CPU demand that I have missed); hasn't worked though!

Thanks for the ideas so far; do you have any more?

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by andyrp

Well, you found your answer ... you just don't know what it is yet! :)

I would do the same thing you just did but do it in a way that you can perform a process of elimination to find out what is cause the issue.

Turn off AMD CnQ for now as well.

Reboot the computer into Safe Mode ... what are your readings there?

Investigated further tonight and tried a range of overclocks using both the bus speed and multiplier all the way up to 3.0Ghz. Sometimes they showed in Windows 7 using CPU-Z sometimes they didn't but there was no real pattern. So I made a series of reboots and each time went into the BIOS. This showed that although the bus speed and multiplier were overclocked the CPU was sometimes seen as 2.6Ghz (stock speed) and othertimes the corret overclocked speed.

Will play some more by booting with safe mode to see if that gives consistent results; will try 5 reboots and see what happens.

If the CPU is detecting an issue with the overclock would it defult to stock settings?

Thanks,

Andy

Well it could also be that your motherboard is seeing that the overclock was bad and reverting back to its original speed. It should give a error if it does that though.

Didn't need to make 5 boots with safe mode as 1st one showed the overclock and the 2nd one didn't. I do sometimes get an error when loading the BIOS but that only started when I added my 5850 graphics card. It wasn't a Bad Overclock error though which my BIOS is capable of reporting but a "CMOS Error press Del to enter setup or F1 to continue" - it continues without issue so I disabled error reporting.

Surely they can't be related as I have plenty of power; previously I was using an Nvidia GTX275 which draws more power than the ATI Radeon 5850 I now have installed. Having said that it did overclock without issue before but I really can't believe the graphics card is the root cause.

Andy

Edited by andyrp

well maybe change your CMOS battery and update/reinstall your bios. Reason I said change your battery is it could be that its dieing and turning on and off the bios memory system and that can have effects like that. If that doesn't fix it you can upgrade or reinstall your bios via flashing. Those might or might not fix it. But its worth a try of each.

if it's the battery, you'd see the time changing back to default.

When I get some time this week I will install the old graphics card so that I can rule out the graphics card as the problem. Also have a drive with Vista installed which I know was overclocked succesfully when I last played about with it so will try that drive / OS install as well.

It is only a few pound for a battery so it won't hurt to try a new one as well.

Thanks for the pointers so far.

Andy

Edited by andyrp

When I get some time this week I will install the old graphics card so that I can rule out the graphics card as the problem. Also have a drive with Vista installed which I know was overclocked succesfully when I last played about with it so will try that drive / OS install as well.

It is only a few pound for a battery so it won't hurt to try a new one as well.

Thanks for the pointers so far.

Andy

OK so I installed my old 7800 GT graphics card and rebooted 3 times - everytime the overclock was applied. Installed the 5850 and the overclock was not applied and the BIOS error occured. Looks like it is caused by the graphics card for some reason.

Andy