home , ultimate ..etc

N.E.A

note that professional has xp mode (ultimate does too obviously), which is why i'm getting professional instead of home premium.

does XP Mode extend to give full functionality to music apps? I thought it was the driver model and audio subsystem timing that was the problem with running music production apps (even if you get them to run in Vista, for example)

I'm quite interested in how you get on with FL and other software in 7 XP Mode, because the only reason I run XP Pro at all is for music production and kX drivers on my A2ZS

does XP Mode extend to give full functionality to music apps?

IIRC you don't have direct access to any of your hardware; it's essentially Microsoft Virtual PC with XP pre-installed.

There's really nothing that special about XP mode other than you get a free copy of XP. It's basically the same thing as installing XP on a Vmware or Virtual PC 2007 virtual machine.

Like all virtual machines the operating system in the virtual environment has to first communicate with the host operating system and then the request is then translated so Windows 7 or the operating system currently installed can understand it and it then communicates with the hardware. To my knowledge there is no way for the Virtual machine OS to bypass the the host operating system and use the hardware directly.

does XP Mode extend to give full functionality to music apps? I thought it was the driver model and audio subsystem timing that was the problem with running music production apps (even if you get them to run in Vista, for example)

I'm quite interested in how you get on with FL and other software in 7 XP Mode, because the only reason I run XP Pro at all is for music production and kX drivers on my A2ZS

IIRC you don't have direct access to any of your hardware; it's essentially Microsoft Virtual PC with XP pre-installed.

that sucks, I've never used a virtual machine, so I didn't know