Best Video Card for $100.00 ?

Capo

Quick question:

What is the best video card for right around $100.00? Any specials out now worth looking at?

Also, it may be worth noting that he only has a 400w PSU. The ampage on it seems good enough, so hopefully he'll be ok. He also only has "basic" components, nothing crazy on it.

Thanks for your help.

A 4830 looks like a good idea. Does the psu in question have pci-e plugs on it?

That is a good question, I'm not sure, I'll have to ask. If it does not, would an adapter chord work?

I was just looking at newegg and saw some 4850s for around 110 or so. My question here, is would a 400w PSU be enough juice for a 4850?

If not, would I be better off with a 4830 or a 9800GT?

That is a good question, I'm not sure, I'll have to ask. If it does not, would an adapter chord work?

I was just looking at newegg and saw some 4850s for around 110 or so. My question here, is would a 400w PSU be enough juice for a 4850?

If not, would I be better off with a 4830 or a 9800GT?

if its a good quality psu. it should.

what CPU is he running?

a 4850 would be the best choioce, you can find them for right at $100

but obviously, only if his PSU will support it

if its a good quality psu. it should.

what CPU is he running?

a 4850 would be the best choioce, you can find them for right at $100

but obviously, only if his PSU will support it

He has a Q6600 for his CPU. 2 gigs or RAM, just a standard 7200 RPM drive, a DVD Rom, a PCI NIC I believe, and onboard sound.

I'm thinking the 4850 may be the best bet for the price, but am concerned with his power... any guidance would be appreciated.

The soon to be released 5750? Should come in a little over $100 and be DirectX 11 compliant. http://www.techpowerup.com/105555/Radeon_H...cs_Surface.html

hell id save up a little more money get the 5770 and a little bit better of a power supply thatd be a awesome card... the cooler on the 5750 looks like a joke... when they put a cooler like that on the xfx 4870 it made it suck, unless he needs it now then id personally get a xfx 4850 512 mb card.. or he could play monopoly until the card came out to keep him occupied.. god knows by the time he got done playing it would be out... and who knows he might be a millionare.. but idk that many places accept monopoly money as proper payment

Edited by actionstan

hell id save up a little more money get the 5770 and a little bit better of a power supply thatd be a awesome card... the cooler on the 5750 looks like a joke... when they put a cooler like that on the xfx 4870 it made it suck, unless he needs it now then id personally get a xfx 4850 512 mb card.. or he could play monopoly until the card came out to keep him occupied.. god knows by the time he got done playing it would be out... and who knows he might be a millionare.. but idk that many places accept monopoly money as proper payment

I'm not sure what you're blathering on about but I hope you have to weat a helmet in public.

From the linked article, " According to the slides, they should be unveiled this Tuesday the 13th". That's 5 days from today. Not sure what playing Monopoly or Monopoly money has to do with anything whatsoever but if You have to have a video card today then the 4850. Waiting about a week, the 5750. Early benchmarks show it scoring slightly above the GTX260, GTX275, and the 4890. This would probably be the best bang for your buck at this price point. The load power is 86W and the idle is 16W.

I had a XFX 4830 512mb and a XFX 4850 1GB and trust me,there is next to no difference between the 2 cards.The 4830 is actually a 4850 with 160 stream processors disabled,but a bit of oc'ing quickly makes up the difference,and in fact the 4830 actually surpasses a 4850 @stock once oc'ed.If your on a budget,get a 4830 1GB,they are great cards and take less power than its 'big' brother.

I'm not sure what you're blathering on about but I hope you have to weat a helmet in public.

From the linked article, " According to the slides, they should be unveiled this Tuesday the 13th". That's 5 days from today. Not sure what playing Monopoly or Monopoly money has to do with anything whatsoever but if You have to have a video card today then the 4850. Waiting about a week, the 5750. Early benchmarks show it scoring slightly above the GTX260, GTX275, and the 4890. This would probably be the best bang for your buck at this price point. The load power is 86W and the idle is 16W.

the cooler like the one on the 5750 will dump hot air into your case... but if that doesnt matter to you thats fine i guess its EXACTLY like the cooler on the new xfx 4870... and no.. i forgot my helmet today, and by unveiled isnt there a slight possibilty that means they release the news for them offically.. or does that mean theyll be ON shelves

Edited by actionstan