Jiv

SSD (Intel or OCZ)

Cherry pick benchmarks much? Seriously, the G2 comes out on top or on par at everything else...

lol. You don't know Anand very well. He has Intel flowing through his veins. For him to post those type of results is really saying something. Maybe you could post some benchmarks with your Intel drive for comparison.

lol. You don't know Anand very well. He has Intel flowing through his veins. For him to post those type of results is really saying something. Maybe you could post some benchmarks with your Intel drive for comparison.

I'll read the conclusion for you since you obviously did not.

"Today, we have two real contenders for the throne: Intel and Indilinx."

"If you're trying to move to an SSD at the lowest possible cost, there's finally a real alternative to Intel."

" I backed up my X25-M, pulled it out, and swapped in an OCZ Vertex drive - into my personal work system. I've been using it ever since and I must admit, I am happy."

"While on average the G2 is a better performer than the Indilinx drives in real world use, there are distinct situations where it falls behind."

"I should also take this time to chastise Intel for absolutely botching the launch of the drive."

"You should buy the largest drive you need/can afford. If you only have 30GB of data on your system, buy the 64GB Indilinx drive. If you have 50GB? Opt for the 80GB Intel drive. Indilinx and Intel seem to complement one another more than compete thanks to differing numbers of flash channels on their controllers resulting in different capacities."

"Is Intel still my overall recommendation? Of course. The random write performance is simply too good to give up and it's only in very specific cases that the 80MB/s sequential write speed hurts you. Is Indilinx a close runner up? Absolutely. It's truly a lower cost alternative."

If I had an Intel drive I'd post my own benchmarks, but I don't.

Seriously, the G2 comes out on top or on par at everything else...
If I had an Intel drive I'd post my own benchmarks, but I don't.

Nothing more for me to add.

Nothing more for me to add.

I was referring to the article and it seems like you totally missed the point I was making.

Anyways, let's not trash the thread more than we already did.

Cherry pick benchmarks much? Seriously, the G2 comes out on top or on par at everything else...

In real world apps that matter the Vertex and Intel drive are almost indistinguishable. The Vertex is cheaper and bigger.

I rest my case. :P

They also use the Indilinx controller, so performance is very similar

They're the same drive, I have one in my desktop.

Looks like Amazon does not deliver IT products to Australia.

The X25-m 80gb g2 in aus cost atleast $459 (OEM version). And the Vertex 120gb is $549. So it seems that the Vertex is more expensive in Aus.

Waco, you recommend the vertex over the G.skill or are both the same? I know they use the same controller but the price difference here between the two is pretty big. Could you guys just pick a drive for me from here?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...9&vk_sort=1

Please bear in mind i might be able to get the x25-m 80gb for $287 aud on ebay.

Whats the difference between OEM and Retail? Are there any warranty difference?

Edited by Jiv

amazingly, 4-5 reviews show that the G.Skill is slightly faster than the Vertex. However the support from G.Skill isnt as good as OCZ??

Looks like I might be going for the G.Skill at $450 ((with shipping ) than $600 Vertex if I cant get the G2 for $330. When do you guys think the TRIM support will work properly with the G.Skill? Some people claim that there is a 50% chance of data lost in 64bit OSs.

By the way guys, whats the difference between Retail and OEM?

When do you guys think the TRIM support will work properly with the G.Skill? Some people claim that there is a 50% chance of data lost in 64bit OSs.

True Trim support through Win7? That will happen real soon. The firmware is in the final stages of testing now. If you are referring to the Wiper type utility it is solid. The data loss happened in the early stages of development.

Need to keep in mind that Trim only works with Win7 using default drivers and the Wiper utility needs to be run from a Windows environment.

TRIM support will be added soon (which will have zero chance of losing data, it's in the new ATA spec)...although to be perfectly honest I still haven't seen any degradation on my drive after a few months of normal use. G-Skill support seems to be relatively on top of things, they release each new firmware just barely after OCZ does whenever Indilinx releases something new.

I'd get the G-Skill over the Vertex any day if it saves you $150!!!