SSD (Intel or OCZ)

Jiv

Hi, I've basically narrowed down my choices to these few.

1) X25-M G2 80gb

2) X25-M G2 160gb

3) OCZ Vertex 120gb

Some review sites claim that the Vertex has almost twice the write speed (or significantly higher) than the X25-m.

My question is

1)Between the 80gb and 160gb X25-m, is there any performance difference? (few people have claim that the bigger the storage the faster the speed)

2)Would the Vertex (or Vertex Turbo) give better performance?

3)Whats the difference between Intel'x X25-m and Kingston's SSDNow M series?

Thanks guys, hopefully I can have a quick answer as I'll have to place my order by Saturday.

What do you guys think abt buying stuff from ebay? Prices in Australia is really bad when compared to Ebay's prices.

Aus Price

G2: 80gb: $437

G2: 160gb: $815

Ebay Price

G2: 160gb: $720

G2: 80gb: $350

Vertex Turbo 120gb : $550

Thanks guys

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The X25-M is slightly better at random reads versus the Vertex but the Vertex is over twice as fast at writing.

It's really a wash. Whichever you can get cheapest yet deal with the size is what you should get. I have a Vertex clone and I have no regrets.

The X25-M is slightly better at random reads versus the Vertex but the Vertex is over twice as fast at writing.

It's really a wash. Whichever you can get cheapest yet deal with the size is what you should get. I have a Vertex clone and I have no regrets.

Thanks Waco, just one thing to clarify, I wouldnt get any noticeable difference even though the X25-m is much slower in writing vs the Vertex?

Do you think its worth getting the Turbo series (for an extra 40 dollars) or the difference isnt noticeable?

From what I read so far, the Intel controller (especially g2) is better at preserving the performance of the SSD after use (almost no performance degration), as oppose to the Idilinx controller? Would this be an issue or would TRIM solve this problem? Lastly, I assume they both would raid equally well if I plan to raid it in the future?

Thanks alot for helping out Waco

Lastly, I assume they both would raid equally well if I plan to raid it in the future?

Probably but I still fail to see the point in RAID in SSDs right now as RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Discs. IMHO SSDs have a long way to go before they hit the category of inexpensive. Generally they are pretty fast as is to not require a RAID 0.

Probably but I still fail to see the point in RAID in SSDs right now as RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Discs. IMHO SSDs have a long way to go before they hit the category of inexpensive. Generally they are pretty fast as is to not require a RAID 0.

Haha, I agree, I dont plan to raid it anytime soon. That question was just trying to see where I can convince myself that one is better than another. Another user on another forum just said '

On the final note, just like the Anandtech review said (I've read a number of them) the sequential read/write speed is not what you really notice - that would be the small file random write speeds and that is where Intel kills pretty much everybody else.'

Right now I'm debating between the x25-M 80 gb vs 160gb vs vertex 120gb vs vertex turbo 120gb

If there is no performance difference between the 160gb X25-m n the 80 gb, I'll stick to the vertex or 80gb since I would not need that much disc space. (The only reason I left the 160gb as an option was because alot of people kept saying when the drives get bigger they also tend to be much faster.)

I think I finally get it.

Seq Read: x25-m (barely)

Seq Write: Vertex (twice faster)

Random Read: X-25

Random Write: x-25

For an OS drive and games, which is more important? Seq Write? or the rest? This is for the X25-M 160gb (not sure how the 80gb fares)

Edited by Jiv

The X25-M only stays "fast" when in a used state because it's artificially limited to 80 MB/s where the Vertex will run balls-to-the-wall whenever it can.

For random reads they aren't too horribly different but the Vertex wins out in sustained reads where the X25-M wins out in random reads (by a slight margin). As for random writes...the X25-M beats up the Vertex like it's not even a competitor...however this doesn't translate all that well into real-world performance numbers.

For nearly any real application the Vertex is faster and will only break out further from the pack once TRIM support is implemented into the firmware.

In real-world use loading times, boot times, and file copy times dominate. If that's what you're concerned about any of the Indilinx or Intel drives will do perfectly.

Compxpert - RAID 0 really isn't RAID at all...but SSDs certainly scale *very* well when in a striped config. Since latency isn't a problem they scale nearly linearly in terms of burst rates, sequential reads, and sequential writes. IOPs tend to scale rather well also. So, while not redundant, SSDs do perform and scale well in RAID 0.

Edited by Waco

Great, now I'm even more confuse... What does

The X25-M only stays "fast" when in a used state because it's artificially limited to 80 MB/s where the Vertex will run balls-to-the-wall whenever it can.

For nearly any real application the Vertex is faster and will only break out further from the pack once TRIM support is implemented into the firmware.

What do you mean by the first sentence? I dont mean to be rude or anything, just that this is the first pc component I'm buying with my own hardearn money and would like to know as much as possible before buying.

I get the point that both will be good enough for my needs, the prices for both will be from USA (http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ViewProductGrid.asp?PID=HDSSD-INTEL&DPID=HD-SSD#aShoppingCart). I'll be ordering it in the US since even with shipping and currency conversion, I'll be saving about 80-150 AUD.

Assuming both the X25-m and the Vertex is at exactly the same price, you would pick the vertex?

Intel X-25M G2 :)

Sequential write speeds aren't a big deal and the Intel drive is better at everything else. They're both getting TRIM so that's a moot point.

Oh and... here's something that should interest you.

Intel X-25M G2 :)

Sequential write speeds aren't a big deal and the Intel drive is better at everything else. They're both getting TRIM so that's a moot point.

Oh and... here's something that should interest you.

Haha,thanks Zertz, I've already read the article 3 times :D along with this

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even without TRIM, the G2's dont seem to be affected much even after being used? (because of the bigger DRAM size according to anandtech).

Now I'm left with the choice of 80gb or 160gb. To me the extra 80gb is just a bonus, but wouldnt want to lose out on performance advantage that the 160gb might have over the 80gb.

Can someone with the drives comfirm whether performance wise they are the same?

Hey guys... I'm looking at getting a G2 or a Vertex, but I've got a more specific application.

As well as using it for the OS, I'll be using it as a scratch disk for video and motion graphics/3d applications...

Anyone know if one of them is better than the other of this use?

(I'm only interested in the smaller drives... I'll only have my OS a few apps and the scratch areas on it...)