What video card can I get?

My video card crapped out on me causing all sorts of visual errors :(

Anyways, I have an ASUS P5N32-E SLI motherboard, I believe its the old spec of PCI-express correct? Can I use some of the newer cards that are being sold right now? or would I need to upgrade my motherboard?

PCI-E 1.0 or 2.0 it doesn't matter the newer cards are backward compatible anyway. I don't think graphics cards are really utilising the extra speed of PCI-E 2.0 to a great extent, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, so any card you want really as long as your power supply is up to the mark.

Cheers Paul

PCI-E 1.0 or 2.0 it doesn't matter the newer cards are backward compatible anyway. I don't think graphics cards are really utilising the extra speed of PCI-E 2.0 to a great extent, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, so any card you want really as long as your power supply is up to the mark.

Cheers Paul

yeah its been awhile since I have been in the video card market and I am just confused by the different standards lol. Thanks man.

PCI-E 2.0 X16 = 2x PCI-E 1.0 X16

so PCI-E 1.0 X16 is the same as PCI-E 2.0 X8.

most video cards still don't exceed the bandwidth given by 1.0 X16 (or 2.0 X8)

not sure about like the gtx295 or ati 5870 though, but you should be good with most any card

PCI-E 2.0 X16 = 2x PCI-E 1.0 X16

so PCI-E 1.0 X16 is the same as PCI-E 2.0 X8.

most video cards still don't exceed the bandwidth given by 1.0 X16 (or 2.0 X8)

not sure about like the gtx295 or ati 5870 though, but you should be good with most any card

even the 295 doesn't use all the bandwidth and I'm pretty sure the 5870 doesn't either

Yeah, i see most people are confused about this, and i was when i built my computer. They are backwards compatible. Of course, i had the misfortune of not knowing this, and bought a cheap pcie 2.0 board rather than a high-end pcie 1.0

You probably won't need the bandwidth unless you're playing crysis at 1080p. I don't think even then you'll need it.

Edited by NearlyEpic