Does it boot up? Do you have a comparable sized piece of wire you can put in the socket that will make contact if it doesn't? These are things that I would be trying out if I were in that situation. The worst thing that could happen is it doesn't work which is where you are at now. It couldn't hurt to try. The video that was

earlier is very helpful.

Rofl dude seriously, you shouldn't have sent ur cpu to amd, just bend back the pins...ez stuff. You could prolly find a video on youtube or something showing how to unbend pins. I guess if you've sent the chip already theres nothing to do but wait. I hope for your sake they fix it or better yet give you a brand new one.

The best way to straighten bent pins is by using a credit card ;) Generally If the computer even starts up then its probably one of those unused pins you broke, otherwise.. well you could check out the video which N.E.A Posted and try that (good luck!) or send the CPU off to AMD and hope they replace it for you.

Its horrendously easy to bend AMD CPU Pins, i spent half an hour carefully unbending them on my Phenom 2 CPU. Its damnd strange because the lever on the MOBO was all the way back and id aligned the CPU perfectly but it wouldnt fit straight and when i pulled the cpu back out to find out why - well nearly the whole second bottom row of pins had been bent.

When your installing your CPU i find a good trick is to lower the CPU directly into place from above, just let it slip down into the socket by itself and then pull the lever down. Then, just to make sure, lift the lever back up again and take the CPU out to check the pins are all straight, then lower it back in place again, works every time for me. ;)

Rofl dude seriously, you shouldn't have sent ur cpu to amd, just bend back the pins...ez stuff. You could prolly find a video on youtube or something showing how to unbend pins. I guess if you've sent the chip already theres nothing to do but wait. I hope for your sake they fix it or better yet give you a brand new one.

I did unbend them and it does start. I overclocked it to 3.5ghz stable. It works at 3.6 but after a while it freezes and no bsod just a light blue frozen screen is that normal or is it because of the pin? I am also using this: cooler http://techreport.com/r.x/2009_4_14_Four_d...stock01-600.jpg

(This is not the stock one it was my amd 9950 stock the stock that came with the 550 had no heatpipes)

and a arctic 5 paste i get 30 c at idle and 45 c at load at 3.6 ghz.

also can i get a pin from my old pentium 4 processor and put it in the spot in my motherboard where the pin is missing from my processor? also if that works out will my processor have no problems.

also can i get a pin from my old pentium 4 processor and put it in the spot in my motherboard where the pin is missing from my processor? also if that works out will my processor have no problems.

Your best bet is to look up what pin you broke. It'll be easier for you to do that than any of us...just download the whitepaper for your CPU and figure out what pin it was.

I wouldn't suggest putting a random pin into your mobo socket to fix anything. At best, it'll provide a crappy contact. At worst, it'll short something out and ruin your CPU/mobo.

Man I just ordered my 720 BE processor this whole bent pins thread has gotten me worried. I've never bent a pin before (knock on wood) lets hope that doesn't happen haha.

that is the one thing I like about LGA tho.

Your best bet is to look up what pin you broke. It'll be easier for you to do that than any of us...just download the whitepaper for your CPU and figure out what pin it was.

I wouldn't suggest putting a random pin into your mobo socket to fix anything. At best, it'll provide a crappy contact. At worst, it'll short something out and ruin your CPU/mobo.

How could i get a white paper for my phenom x2 550 and also didn't that guy on the video do the same thing. Aren't the size of the pins for the 2 processors the same?

How exactly does one "bend pins"?

like by dropping it or what? i've never had a problem, i dont see how you'd bend the pins unless you just put it in the socket wrong.

I've never actually bent a pin before, I've had 2 amd cpu's and 1 socket 478 P4, all with a buncha pins. I've even dropped a 720 on my desk when I took it out of the plastic thingy (it works like a mini cpu slingshot when you open it) but I never touch my pins with my fingers.

I guess it'd be nice if amd replaced it and gave you a brand new cpu, but that would be totally against their warranty and tell everyone that when we buy amd stuff we not only pay for the cpu and colourful packaging, we also pay for free replacement cpu's given to other people :P let me know if they replace it for you, if they do, I'll go to my nearest DICE store, place a chunk directly on the ihs, hope it doesn't fry, and then send it in for an rma ;):lol:

If the pin fell off, drop the pin broken pin in the the socket and then drop the cpu right above it, very simple and logical thing to do. No need to ruin a veteran P4 :foldon:

I've never actually bent a pin before, I've had 2 amd cpu's and 1 socket 478 P4, all with a buncha pins. I've even dropped a 720 on my desk when I took it out of the plastic thingy (it works like a mini cpu slingshot when you open it) but I never touch my pins with my fingers.

I guess it'd be nice if amd replaced it and gave you a brand new cpu, but that would be totally against their warranty and tell everyone that when we buy amd stuff we not only pay for the cpu and colourful packaging, we also pay for free replacement cpu's given to other people :P let me know if they replace it for you, if they do, I'll go to my nearest DICE store, place a chunk directly on the ihs, hope it doesn't fry, and then send it in for an rma ;):lol:

If the pin fell off, drop the pin broken pin in the the socket and then drop the cpu right above it, very simple and logical thing to do. No need to ruin a veteran P4 :foldon:

Can't find it.