Need suggestions for a motherboard

Hey all... am planning to build a pretty cheap PC which is kinda gaming oriented, so

I figured ill get a nice ATI HD-4770 card and a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor (I read its really fast and can be crzy overclocked, also that its probably a better buy than a quad core around the same price range) and 2x1GB Kingston Hyperx 800MHz mem sticks. I can afford another $100 after a coupla months so thinking of buying another 4770 then.

Could someone help me figure out what kind of motherboard can handle this setup? Looking at less than $150.

Also wondering what kind of monitor would suit this setup, can spare another $150 for that.

Do ya guys have any other suggestions or configs that could fit the job description and the price range??

EDIT: Oh right, how much power would I need to run the system?? Am guessing around 650?

Edited by El-Duderino

WELCOME TO OCC.................:)

i will tell you this : if you can get 4850 instead or wait a little for 5770 /5750 it will be far better by the way 5770 i expect it to be as fast as 4850

4770 is good but in us it costs just as much as 4850 or in some cases less

for the cpu you can get ep45-ud3/l/r these are very very nice boards

what about this :

phenom ii x2 550 + 785g-ud3h/us2h + the same ram and psu , that mean you will sell your cpu that if you are welling to do so

that cpu is very good as fast as your e8400 , but you can use it with a much upgradable system than 775 cpus

it is up to you , by the way 4770 is not good for 19` display 4850 or as i suggested 5770 will be much better

as for psu 550 or 500 w at max , i ran gtx 275 with the same cpu and a more power hungry board on HEC 500 and it ran just fine

but i recommend getting phenom ii x2 550 + 785g-us2h

with the integrated gpu you can play with it and it is very cool even on 19` display

then when 5770 comes out get one or if you can not afford it get 4850 but no 4770

i forgot 550w psu is good for 2 x 4770 just to let you know , but do not get 4770

good luck ...:)

tell me what do you think about what i said (phenom ii + 785 ) ..

sorry for the very long post :( :( :P

Edited by N.E.A

i knew it .., you do not like my suggestion on getting amd ..

get

gigabyte ep45-ud3 or ud3l

with HEC /OCZ / ..etc any good quality psu 550-600 at max and you can get 4850 or take my word and hold about 1-2 weeks for 5770

i told you so since it is dx 11 and you will not have to get another card when dx11 games come out ..

Thanks for the reply, I went off the sleep last night so didnt reply quickly enough :P Don't mind AMD at all, my current config is AMD in fact.

The 4850 seems cheap enough, looking at the HIS H485FM1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 and its only 120$ so probably a really good buy. (5770 will prolly be outside my budget)

The processor you suggested is great too!! Its got just 1mb L2 Cache though compared to the 6mb on E8400 (which is ~175$) but hell cheaper (~100$). How much performance difference would that make??

Neither of the motherboards you suggested support crossfire!! (or so methinks). The AMD motherboard is cheaper than the one for Intel and they mostly have similar specs so I guess going AMD will be cheaper (so mebbe I can get a bigger monitor :D). Am planning to use a card anyway so wouldnt care if the board has no on board graphics.

The ep45-UD3P supports crossfire and is about 135$. That would mean around $300 for mobo+proc and ~100$ for 2*2GB mem sticks. Alternatively I could get the phenomII 550 + ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 mobo for ~200$ and 2*2GB DDR3 mem sticks for another $150. Might stick to 4850 since ya recommend it so strongly. What say you?

Got any monitor suggestions for around $150??

Thanks again for the very useful reply :D

(BTW I aint buying anything from the US, just estimating the prices so I can go outdoors and buy it locally. Dont think the 5770 will be available for sometime after the release over here.)

Thanks for the reply, I went off the sleep last night so didnt reply quickly enough :P Don't mind AMD at all, my current config is AMD in fact.

The 4850 seems cheap enough, looking at the HIS H485FM1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 and its only 120$ so probably a really good buy. (5770 will prolly be outside my budget)

The processor you suggested is great too!! Its got just 1mb L2 Cache though compared to the 6mb on E8400 (which is ~175$) but hell cheaper (~100$). How much performance difference would that make??

Neither of the motherboards you suggested support crossfire!! (or so methinks). The AMD motherboard is cheaper than the one for Intel and they mostly have similar specs so I guess going AMD will be cheaper (so mebbe I can get a bigger monitor :D). Am planning to use a card anyway so wouldnt care if the board has no on board graphics.

The ep45-UD3P supports crossfire and is about 135$. That would mean around $300 for mobo+proc and ~100$ for 2*2GB mem sticks. Alternatively I could get the phenomII 550 + ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 mobo for ~200$ and 2*2GB DDR3 mem sticks for another $150. Might stick to 4850 since ya recommend it so strongly. What say you?

Got any monitor suggestions for around $150??

Thanks again for the very useful reply :D

(BTW I aint buying anything from the US, just estimating the prices so I can go outdoors and buy it locally. Dont think the 5770 will be available for sometime after the release over here.)

550 = e8400 and kicks it`s butt when overclocked , if you want amd based board with cross fire support i think you should go with

790x/fx/gx

but i would stick the 790x , and yes stick with 4850 or 4870 if you can get it

about the board you can get ddr2 790x-ud4/p

or ddr3 790xt-ud4p

good luck with your nice build ............:)

What is your total budget? (In USD - price difference!!)

Processor: 550 or 720 would be good, the Phenoms come with 6MB L3 cache and not L2 and probably the dual core easily beats the e8400

RAM: Get DDR3 1333/1600 RAM OCZ or GSkill or Kingston if the first 2 aren't available

GPU: 4770 is good but usually expensive than 4850 coz 4770 is better when overclocked, consumes less power and runs cooler!! GTS250 could be an option if it is equal to 4770! 5750 is to be priced close to 4770 w/ similar performance!

Monitor: I like this one but sorry its $20 above your budget!!

Mobo: Depends on your budget and do you want crossfire? On a budget without CF, Gigabyte 770t mobo rules!

EDIT: PSU: 550W is more than enough.. Corsair would be gr8!!

Edited by nns

My budget around 25k-30k INR, thats ~575$ but I already have a 500GB HDD, speakers and kbrd/mouse.

Processor: Pretty decided on Phenom II x2 550 (~100$) esp after reading that it has a chance to run at 4 cores OCed to 3.5GHz :O

RAM: Undecided, depends on mobo and how much cash I have left. Maybe 2*2GB DDR3/2 sticks. Would go for a single 2GB stick if I cant afford another one now since I will have some spare cash later. 2GB DDR3 RAM - 1333MHz - Transcend 2.7k INR/ OCZ Technology 3.3k INR. OCZ DDR2 @ 800MHz on the other hand is around 2.2k INR

GPU: 4770/4850 ~110$ (based on availability, since both seem to the job equally well) or 4870 (drools) ~150$ (if i can squeeze that in the budget). Also the 5770 might take long to get to the local stores here, don't want to wait for another 2 months.

'

Monitor: Loved that one, but aint planning to order online so would have to pay $200 for it here, I dont mind even a 17" but it has to be good rather than big.

Mobo: Want crossfire as I will get paid in a coupla months & will buy another gpu then. Not sure how to google for the mobo with the specs I want so I dont know many options , maybe M4A785TD-V EVO (~100$) or GA-MA790XT-UD4P /GA-MA790X-UD4P (~140/110$), but dont know if it overclocks well and if it would let me unlock the other two cores on the Phenom 550. Why the big $40 difference btw?? The specs were similar :O .

PSU: Ill take your word for it, 550W it is. CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W (~80$)

Thanks for the reply :D

Edited by El-Duderino

Bingo! me too!!

Corsair 550 is equivalent to a not-so-good 650W so you might as well buy a coolermaster or Black diamond or VIP..

BTW you could also try Corsair 450 or 400 they would suffice your build!

As for the RAM you would do great to find reasonably priced DDR3's here.. And don't buy Transcend it sucks!! And AM3 mobos support only DDR3 so no DDR2!

How much are you getting the 4850 for? I think GTS250 retails pretty cheap too!!

ASUS/Gigabyte mobos would be good...

Went to the stores to check for prices, really high, thanks to Diwali, will update by end of month. :blink:

Edit: Dude, you from pune?? Suggest some nice shops then!! The GB GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard which is for $100 online was for around 11k in the shops I asked :(

Edited by El-Duderino