To turn off, or not to turn off. THAT is the question.

sack_patrol

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to mention that if you are leaving your computer on all day and you live in a place that has energy provided by coal then the more energy that you waste the more radiation is produced. coal contains trace amounts of uranium and coal power plants produce more radiation than nuclear power plants (as I recall, don't hold it against me if its the same or less but I'm pretty sure its far more). much of the world receives energy from coal power plants.

Eh, if we get irradiated enough we'll all glow so we won't need lights!

Edited by Waco

Are you kidding? That'd be AWESOME! You could wake up in the middle of the night, hungover (or still drunk), and be able to piss without turning the lights on!

Are you kidding? That'd be AWESOME! You could wake up in the middle of the night, hungover (or still drunk), and be able to piss without turning the lights on!

and if you bottle your piss, and unfortunate unglowing friend of yours will have an infinite light source :lol:

At that stage of ghoul development I'm pretty sure you'd be well beyond the point of "waking up" to do any waste removal.

:lol:

An infinite light source :lol:
Well that depends on whether the "glowing ones" have mutated into an organism that produces their own glow or if they are only glowing from the residual radiation that they reside in.

I turn my computer off at night.

Mainly because leaving it on all the time causes dust to build up much quicker which means the computer has to be cleaned more often. There's also the fact that the fans ball bearings wear out quick and then you have to listen to a winning fan or replace it.

The same for me as well. Also, I have a 4850x2 installed and its fans are pretty loud. Can't sleep with the blasted thing on. :lol:

My other computer is an old Dell running FreeBSD with Transmission, so that's my dedicated torrent machine. Got it running 24/7 in the basement. I'm considering saving to buy the fit-PC for torrents; which boasts a total of 6 watts used. So, I suppose that my attempt at "going green". Not to mention, it's a NEAT little machine! :thumbs-up: (whoa, that rhymed!)

That fit pc thing does really look like something that is worth the price. It would seem that it would take forever to boot and then be slow getting stuff installed on it.

Plus as everyone has said really that electricity saved is of not important concern.

Those Geode processors are completely crappy in every way though...I'm not sure one would even be up to the task of torrenting. I had the displeasure of trying to use a slim client in a project a few semesters back and we ended up using Atom boards instead (and they were easily 10 times faster at minimum).