To turn off, or not to turn off. THAT is the question.

sack_patrol

I've been wondering if it's better for a PC to stay on 24/7 or to be turned off when it's not used. In my case, I leave my pc on through out the day and turn it off before I go to bed, and on again the next morning. Is this better or worse than leaving it on 24/7. I've heard it's better to just leave it, but I'm not sure so thats why this post was made. My pc specs are in my sig, so taking that into consideration, what would be better? I'd also want to know why each option is good or bad if it's not too much trouble. I'm simply interested as to how the pc reacts to turning it off every night, and how it reacts when it's left on all the time.

Thanks.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The PSU is really the only thing that'll be degraded from 24/7 use (aside from fans).

Thermal cycling of most components (CPU, GPU, RAM, HDDs) is worse than simply keeping them running at a steady temp.

Google published something on the matter a few years ago but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

The majority of components are rated to last years at 24/7 use, well beyond the amount of time you'll actually use them. Unless your computer is running at 100% 24/7 (eg. Folding @ Home) then the price difference in your power bill will be negligible. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and have my computer ready to go at a moment's notice than have to wait or deal with any potential booting issues (you know Windows, someday it'll boot fine, other days it'll crap out for no apparent reason).

I've been wondering if it's better for a PC to stay on 24/7 or to be turned off when it's not used. In my case, I leave my pc on through out the day and turn it off before I go to bed, and on again the next morning. Is this better or worse than leaving it on 24/7. I've heard it's better to just leave it, but I'm not sure so thats why this post was made. My pc specs are in my sig, so taking that into consideration, what would be better? I'd also want to know why each option is good or bad if it's not too much trouble. I'm simply interested as to how the pc reacts to turning it off every night, and how it reacts when it's left on all the time.

Thanks.

leaving 1000 watts on for no particular reason doesn't even make any sense at my house. but then again neither does running 2 folding machines 24/7. i turn off my gamer when i'm done with it at night but the folder and the worker ordinarily stay on. thats a 750 watter and a 600 watter for the worker, and now that i think about it it's time to give them about a weeks rest for the sake of the 'lectricity bill.

we don't pay electricity nor anything else since it comes with the rent as well as everything else like watter and heating, so that isn't any problem. From what I read, I guess that turning it off for the night is the best thing to do.

It's the best thing to do if the lights or noise bother you. If it's not bothering you either personally or financially, then why bother turning it off? Not like your computer is going to last that much longer.

If you do pay the electricity bill then be aware that the higher end graphic cards can pull a fair bit of current even when idle.

Found these figures on t'internet for an i7 920 system when idle:

GTX 260 216 = 189W

9800GT = 196W

HD4890 = 233W

9800 GX2 = 239W

HD 4890 CF = 308W

Can't vouch for the accuracy of these figures but it's certainly worth bearing in mind. The crossfire HD4890's figure of 308W is quite a lot for an idle system. The system in my sig pulls less than that with both 9600GSO's folding! :lol:

Cheers

Paul