Ultra 120 rev. C or AXP-140 for P5q turbo & Q9550

mazakman

Hi guys,

I'm going to purchase something from Thermalright and it has boiled down to 2 products. The Ultra 120 extreme or the AXP-140.

The dilemma is that it would be nice to buy both and experiment but I'm on a budget.

With the Ultra 120 I could mount so as to have the fan blowing towards the rear which would help cool my ram and I could mount 2 80mm tornados to exhaust heat out the rear (they are lying around and haven't been used much lately)... Then again the AXP-140 would have the fan blowing down towards the motherboard and help cool the heat sinks that take care of the mosfets and north bridge (again using the 80mm tornados for exhaust).

BTW the fan that I'll be using on the cpu cooler is a 120x120x38 Delta AFB1212VHE which should be good for well over 150 cfm (it's an older model that is rated at 0.90A rather than the current model's 0.68A) that has never been used.

Any thoughts on these theories???

Thanks, Alex. :D

The TRUE is time tested to be a great performer. In my experience the Q9550 was an easier CPU to cool than many. Depending on your overclock goals of course. I was able to overclock a Q9550 to 3.4Ghz and undervolt it at the same time. It's a great CPU.

I'll try that out once I'm equipped and post the results. :D

The reason I asked for help is the way the board is designed. The placement of the heat sinks around the cpu suggest that the air coming from the cpu cooler is used to keep them cool... I'll probably get the Ultra 120... the power of the fans should move more than enough air around to keep those heat sinks cool.

I wish I had the budget for more toys to experiment with. :lol:

Thanks, Alex. :D