I Raven I

New PSU Having some isues's

Ok so i just changed out my old 300 watt PSU on my mom's comp for a 450 and withing the last 20 mins it's shut itself off randomly...

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into why it might be happening... Also i noticed when i changed them that the board has a 20+4 pin connector slot but was only using a 20 pin.. So with the new one im using all 24 pins,could this be why it's doing it?

Using all of the pins should give you more stability. They're there for a reason.

Which PSU models? Before and after? Are you sure you didn't knock anything loose when you swapped out the PSU? I'd recheck all of the power supply's connections.

I checked before i closed it up but ill recheck. It was the original PSU that came with the machine that came out and the new one is one that has been setting in a closet for like 1-2 year's now.

I checked before i closed it up but ill recheck. It was the original PSU that came with the machine that came out and the new one is one that has been setting in a closet for like 1-2 year's now.

Is it full of dust? Could be a short.

also is it a quality psu? Some are labled to handle a higher wattage then they actually can by claiming to run 450W (or any other number) at 20C when in reality then can only do 300W because they are running at around 40C. Is there a reason you changed the psu? did the old one break or did you upgrade the graphics card and psu or some other parts?

It was alittle dusty. I will get some can-o-air to clean it more later today. Also the purpose of changing the psu was to support the new cpu and ram that's in the mail now...

*** The PSU that was having the problem's just died out and it is now in garbage heaven.... Will order a new on soon maybe..***

Edited by I Raven I