Intel Confidential

I was given some sample parts at work by an Intel rep. because we were considering using one of their serverboards in our products. It turned outr that the board wasn't suitable for our application, and the last time he visted our office, I told him he could take the stuff back. He said he really didn't want it back, and that I could just take it home, and use it myself. I have the server board, two DIMM's, and two dual core procs. The board only has X8 PCI-E slots and a couple of 32 bit conventional PCI slots, and is really not ideal for anything that I would want to build a new system for so, I decided to try and unload the stuff on Ebay, or someplace.

The processors are Duo Core Xeons 5500 series retail part # BX80602E5502 but, they are marked "Intel Confidential" which is an Intel designation for engineering samples. My question is, is a no-no to sell these parts? I hate to see em go to waste but, don't want to get in trouble by selling parts that are legally the property of Intel or something like that.

Any insight that anyone has would be much appreciated!

Edited by xlrwrite

Intel as of late has been buying all ES chips they can off ebay, Ocbay etc. and tracing them back to who they came from and recalling them is what I have read Dr. Who say on XS. They are cracking down on selling of ES chps as its illegal...

Guest ajmatson

Or you can trade them. :) If your looking to swap I am putting together a cheap server for a school project (see sig) and would be willing to trade you newer hardware for it. (Assuming I have what you need).

Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess I knew all along I shouldn't be selling these parts... I just needed someone else to tell me that, I think, haha.

I see a couple of you are interested in them for trade. I'm just going to sit on them for now. If I can find a X8 PCI-E card that supports high-def video, I may use it for a home theater machine. From what I've seen, X8 video cards, tend to be low performance but, Since I won't be using it for anything too demanding like gaming, I should be able to find something that'll work.

Thanks again guys.

Faster PCIe cards (ie PCIe 2.0 x16) can be used in older slots (PCIe 1.x x16 or x8) just fine - they're all backward compatible. The main issue is whether or not the slot has enough bandwidth to support the data going to and from the card. It doesn't take much to support "high-def" video (it pretty much just has to be recent). I would not expect any "bottlenecks" until you're using major cards (for gaming purposes) with something like 1.x x8 (and it's not an issue with anything with more bandwidth than this - as of lately).

For reference PCIe 2.0 x8 is the same amount of bandwidth as PCIe 1.x x16 :)

Faster PCIe cards (ie PCIe 2.0 x16) can be used in older slots (PCIe 1.x x16 or x8) just fine - they're all backward compatible. The main issue is whether or not the slot has enough bandwidth to support the data going to and from the card. It doesn't take much to support "high-def" video (it pretty much just has to be recent). I would not expect any "bottlenecks" until you're using major cards (for gaming purposes) with something like 1.x x8 (and it's not an issue with anything with more bandwidth than this - as of lately).

For reference PCIe 2.0 x8 is the same amount of bandwidth as PCIe 1.x x16 :)

Thanks for the info, Nate! Unfortunately, the slots in my board have the divider at the front, and will not accept an x16 card from what I can tell. I haven't had much experience with PCIe video cards (My main system is still rocking an ATI 3850 AGP card) I haven't looked up the specs yet but, I'm sure the slots are fast enough considering this is a high performance server board.

All of the cards I have seen that say they support Blu-ray playback, and 1080p video are x16 cards. Can someone here recommend an x8 video card that will support hi-def playback?

Thanks for the info, Nate! Unfortunately, the slots in my board have the divider at the front, and will not accept an x16 card from what I can tell. I haven't had much experience with PCIe video cards (My main system is still rocking an ATI 3850 AGP card) I haven't looked up the specs yet but, I'm sure the slots are fast enough considering this is a high performance server board.

All of the cards I have seen that say they support Blu-ray playback, and 1080p video are x16 cards. Can someone here recommend an x8 video card that will support hi-def playback?

Are you sure it's not AGP x8, because as Nate said, PCIE is backwards compatible.

Are you sure it's not AGP x8, because as Nate said, PCIE is backwards compatible.

This.

Any PCIe slot should accept any PCIe card (except for the ones with closed end caps).

This.

Any PCIe slot should accept any PCIe card (except for the ones with closed end caps).

They are most definitely x8 PCIe slots. I'm not sure what you mean about "closed end caps" but, I think that's what I have here. They are closed on each end, and all of the x16 PCIe cards I have looked at online do not have a gap in the edge connector to accomodate that type of slot.

Most 64 bit PCI cards have a gap in the edge connector so they can be used in a 32 bit slot. So, are you saying that with PCIe the slot on the motherboard needs to be designed to accept either an x8 or an x16 card to be backward compatible?