How often have you see a CPU go bad?

Over the past week, I had one rig go off, I changed everything, and the last of everything was the CPU, which resolved the problem.

Now, I have a second rig, have swapped out everything, except the CPU, and it is still has problems, New CPU will be here Tomorrow.

So, The question is, How often to you see CPUs go bad.

I have clocked the dirt out of chips, blasted them with stupid voltage, and the only time I ever had one fail was when I plugged it in without attaching a heat-sink (which is apparently important)

Now I have had two Q6600, running at stock speeds (Gigabyte "Turbo" mode) go out on me, one total, couldn't get to the bios, the other, Win xp starts in Safe Mode with network support, but crashes with a regular log in. I know it is hardware because MemTest crashes on the first or second test of pass 1, but only with 4 1BG memory sticks. MemTest runs fine with just two sticks, but still crash when logging on to Windows.

One 20-months old, One 14-months old. Guess I am going to find out how good that Intel Warranty is.

Too bad one was OEM, guess I will sport the extra $15 for the box and a full warranty from now on.

Edited by CPU_Cooker

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, none of mine have gone bad. From what I've heard it's better to just buy CPUs retail, since they are made from near the center of the waffers. While OEM are made near the edge. The closer they are too the center the better they are. At least that's what I've heard. I've bought all my CPUs retail, since the price difference wasn't that huge.

never seen one go bad

i got a computers that was damaged during a lightning storm. The motherboard and cpu was fried. sometimes the CPU survives though but not often. I havent seen one go out after OCing yet, even though it supposed to shorten the life of the cpu. I am speaking of generally stable OCs with acceptable temps. I have seen a burned up cpu from excessive volts added. But generally even then the motherboard shuts down before destroying the cpu, because of heat. But if the volts are way too high it probably wont matter, that could quickly burn it out.

I've never lost a CPU.

:withstupid:

I've damaged some Intels, but that's about it. They were still working though, they would just not hit a certain frequency with the same voltage. My E6750 was rock solid stable 24/7 and ran fine like this for months. All of a sudden, it would not anymore. Also I had an E7300 that did 4.5Ghz benchmark stable at 1.8V on air. Then I damaged it and it would do only 4.4GHz.

Since then, I have been very careful with 24/7 overclocks.

Well,

It is what it is, but seeing the number of No's makes me feel a little less of an idiot for saving the CPU for last.

Now what will really be bizarre is if dropping a new CPU in doesn't make the problem go away...... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Maybe Intel has run out of Q6600's and will send me Q8400 in its place...

Edited by CPU_Cooker

Had a old socket 478 just die for some reason, had a QX9650 die but that was from running to much voltage through it for to long. Had 9 Q6600s running 24/7 full load with 1.5 vcore no problems for a couple years, still have 7 of those running sold 2 of them...