Speakers vs. Headphones

sack_patrol

Audio-GD Compass DAC/Amp, but they cost like $450 shipped. A little more or less than a new 5870 shipped :(.

:blink: For headphones? Jesus...a good multi-hundred watt power amp can be had for that much!

I mean...I'm sure it's a nice preamp/amp but you've got to be well past the point of diminishing returns at that price point. :lol:

Edited by Waco

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a Little Dot :) They are so good for the money!

Maybe go with a Little Dot or Darkvoice for about 30-50 quid more than the Head Box, or build your own Millett amp...

Seriously, that Head Box II is made with very bog-standard components, and I can't see where the price tag comes from really

I was only going for that as I'd read reviews that said it was very accurate... I don't want the amp to colour the sound too much.

I do like the Little Dot amps.... and I don't know anything about Darkvoice... hmmm - confused!

For in the house I like headphones because I can crank it up and not bug anyone but they are not my favorite is car audio for sure.

I personally thing the system fin my car is the best sounding thing ever, I have a 200watt cd player with some cheap speakers but the tuning I have done and the acoustics in my car make for an excellent listening. I friends Blazer is AMAZING though, two 10s and two 12s in the back hooked up to a 4500watt amp is just INSANE, at a base competition it got 2cd in the daily driver class at 148 decibels.

I dunno Stu, that Head Box II looks a bit crap inside:

14082009653.jpg

Maybe go with a Little Dot or Darkvoice for about 30-50 quid more than the Head Box, or build your own Millett amp...

Seriously, that Head Box II is made with very bog-standard components, and I can't see where the price tag comes from really

That does look pretty unimpressive for what it costs. If you've ever soldered or wanted to try it, I say build your own amp. I just started DIY audio a few months back and I find it pretty satisfying to do. I actually have parts for the Gamma-1 DAC coming in the mail right now :D

For in the house I like headphones because I can crank it up and not bug anyone but they are not my favorite is car audio for sure.

I personally thing the system fin my car is the best sounding thing ever, I have a 200watt cd player with some cheap speakers but the tuning I have done and the acoustics in my car make for an excellent listening. I friends Blazer is AMAZING though, two 10s and two 12s in the back hooked up to a 4500watt amp is just INSANE, at a base competition it got 2cd in the daily driver class at 148 decibels.

Right.... because a Car is such a great acoustic environment....

4500W in a car on subs is just stupid. That is just gonna shake the whole street, but still sound TERRIBLE. What a waste.

Sure I love listening to music/radio in my car, but it is a terrible environment for true high quality sounds. So much else going on, and the shape etc is no good. + You are DRIVING, so your mind is hardly focused, hence no need for such high quality, as your pre-occupied. Or at least you should be.

Either way, I cant help but laugh whole hartely at those tools who crusie around in Citroen Saxo 1.0's with about 5000W of sound equipment in them. Sounds TERRIBLE, and that much power is more suited to a small/medium night club, than a car.

On topic, Im a speakers man. I like the whole room filled with music/sound. I do love my sennhiser HD-25 II's though for late night listening, or on the move music/video.

4500W in a car on subs is just stupid. That is just gonna shake the whole street, but still sound TERRIBLE. What a waste.

Eh, it's overkill, but that doesn't mean it's going to shake the whole street.

My last car had a big system in it (though it was effecient as hell) and could do mid 130s full range and just over 140 dB in bass. I also had, however, a few hundred pounds of soundproofing and sound deadening. I could be sitting next to you at a stoplight with it going full blast and the most you'd hear is my windshield wipers rattling a bit. :P

The acoustics in car for staging/imaging aren't great but they aren't anywhere near as bad as you make them sound.

Hell, I had more power for my front stage than my subs for a very long time (and I only upgraded because I got an amazing deal on a Cadence A7HC). :lol: The 140 dB I posted was done with 450 watts going to the subs. ;)

I was only going for that as I'd read reviews that said it was very accurate... I don't want the amp to colour the sound too much.

A solid state amp is gonna be somewhat intrinsically transparent/cold/clinical/accurate/etc., but the New Japan Radio (NJM2068) op-amp in the Head Box II has a rather lame slew rate of 6V/us.... compared to 20V/us of the LM4562... I really think slew rate helps maintain detail, at least that's what I've found from experimenting with different op-amps in sound cards and my own custom M

Right.... because a Car is such a great acoustic environment....

Sure I love listening to music/radio in my car, but it is a terrible environment for true high quality sounds. So much else going on, and the shape etc is no good. + You are DRIVING, so your mind is hardly focused, hence no need for such high quality, as your pre-occupied. Or at least you should be.

Either way, I cant help but laugh whole hartely at those tools who crusie around in Citroen Saxo 1.0's with about 5000W of sound equipment in them. Sounds TERRIBLE, and that much power is more suited to a small/medium night club, than a car.

On topic, Im a speakers man. I like the whole room filled with music/sound. I do love my sennhiser HD-25 II's though for late night listening, or on the move music/video.

My car is a good accoustic envirounment...kinda... it's is a rock solid old Pontiac Parisian with vast amounts of room and my "cheap" speakers as I said cost about $80 for the set. Good bass you can feel but not over powering, strong mid range, but lacks slightly in the highs. You can't hear the road or wind in it when the music isn't on so whatever. Not a great acoustic environment but it is the best in my everyday life.

As for the my buddy's blazer, its air tight 92 big body 2 door blazer. It is obscene how loud it is. We don't crank it up all the time, and nobody thinks it is "necessary" but it is fun. It rattles dishes in peoples house and is audible for miles away. Any sound that makes it hard to breathe is cool in my book.

My car is a good accoustic envirounment...kinda...
It's really not. No car is set up for decent imaging and all the glass plays havoc with any that get halfway close.

As for the my buddy's blazer, its air tight 92 big body 2 door blazer. It is obscene how loud it is. We don't crank it up all the time, and nobody thinks it is "necessary" but it is fun. It rattles dishes in peoples house and is audible for miles away. Any sound that makes it hard to breathe is cool in my book.

Tell him to spend the money on some soundproofing or shut it the . off. I can't stand retards with stereos like that; they give anyone with a car stereo a bad name with their idiotic booming through town. :rolleyes:

Edited by Waco

It's really not. No car is set up for decent imaging and all the glass plays havoc with any that get halfway close.

Tell him to spend the money on some soundproofing or shut it the . off. I can't stand retards with stereos like that; they give anyone with a car stereo a bad name with their idiotic booming through town. :rolleyes:

Yeah I know my car sucks for sound but it's my baby and it sounds pretty...

Why sound proof when you can share the love :P I hate when other people do it but I like my friend, he is the only black guy in rural nowhere lol.