Enthusiast Gaming Rig!!

The EvilAlex

OK, so I'm building a new PC for gaming and stuff. I'm not completely stupid at this but there are many things I still don't know about building a PC, so I hope you'll help me there.

Motherboard: As I understand I7 is the TOP CPU right now, so it has to be one of the Intel x58 motherboards and since I'm getting Radeon HD5870, I don't need SLI but CrossfireX.It would be cool if I could overclock it but for me out-of-the-box performance is more important.

CPU: Probably I7 920 because I can't afford those top performance I7 CPU's.

Cooler: I don't need one right now since I wont overclock right away.

RAM: Don't have a clue, allot of people sayde to go with Corsair 3x2Gb 1600 but I'm not sure.

HDD: Probably 500GB, 600Gb or 750Gb, I have no need for 1 or 2 Tb of space.

DVD-ROM: I think I'll just pop the one I have now.

GPU: Radeon HD5870, what else.

Case: I heard that 5870 is pretty big, so I need a case that that can fit this beast.

PSU: I wont be overclocking and getting two HD5870 right away but I want to be ready for it.

Any help would be appreciated and sorry for my enlglish.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd skip i7 920 and get i5 750 instead, it's the same speed clock by clock just minus the Hyper Threading, you don't need 8 core to play games 4 core is an overkill already. you will save a lot of money instead of spending it into less productive performance in game , unless you wanna do cpu intensive task. and later if you really need the speed just oc the hell out of it ;) the i5 reach 4Ghz on air cooling quite easy

Edited by panjang110

I don't really know why I'm building such an expensive pc but it definitely isn't just for gaming...

It's for aimless tinkering :P .

Yeah, I know it's stupid but what can I do. I'm like every other member here who says he is building a rig for gaming but really it's just to have this wonderfull tech.

I'm running 2 5870s, an i7 920 overclocked over 4Ghz, 12GB of DDR3 1600 RAM, a WD Black 1TB HDD, and a single DVDRW drive on a PC Power & Cooling 750 watt power supply. Just to give you an idea where to look wattage wise in a power supply.

Around 550-600 W would suffice.. Corsair is really good, some other brands are Antec, Coolermaster, OCZ, XFX...

As for a case Coolermasters are really good and so are a number of other brands.. Browse online pick a nice case and check if the Video card fits in..

My personal favorite is HAF 922 which will take this card easily..

As for the memory pick up a good DDR3 1333/1600MHz+ with good timings CL6 preferably.. Corsairs are good but costly, try OCZ, Patriot, GSkill and Mushkin (Mushkins are probably the best ones around).

For the mobo look around the forums!!

A couple of newegg links:

Corsair 650W

HAF 922

Mushkin 3x2GB RAM DDR3-1333 CL6

G Skill DDR3 1600 CL6

BTW Since you are purchasing a 5870, a huge monitor wouldn't be a bad idea... save on the Proccy if you have to..

As for a Case i would go with Cooler Master HAF 922 or 932, keeps everything nice an cool and looks good. For a PSU i would go with a corsair 850HX. u will want to run something else than the stock cooler that they give u for ur cpu.

Edited by insan3

wow, impressive!!

I thought I needed 1kW to run this stuff!?

EDIT:

But what manufacturer should I trust??

No. Rourkchris said he has a PC&P 750(I have it too) and this thing is awesome. Mine could run 2 HD2900Pros(And those pull a lot of energy) and still with extra energy left :)

1K+ Is only for quad Crossfire/Sli I think.

Motherboard: I still don't know what to get. There's MSI Eclipse, p6t deluxe v2, etc...

Can you guys recommend me a great Mobo that performs great with I7 920, Radeon HD5870 alone and Crossfire'd.

CPU: I found two I7 920 CPU's. One is BX80601920SLBCH(Which is 40$ less) and BX80601920, what's the difference??

RAM: Ok so CL is timing. I found a couple with CL7 and CL6 with 1333MHZ but there was Corsair CL9 1600MHZ only 12$ more.

HDD: Could you recommend a manufacturer??

Case: I found two cases which I kind'a like. One Thermaltake Element S Big Side Cooler(VK60001W2Z), two Cooler Master HAF Tower(RC-932-KKN1-GP). I personaly like Thermal, looks slick, but I'm interested in performence. So Thermal or Cooler M.

Oh, and how can I finde out about if my GPU fits in there??

PSU: CORSAIR TX SERIE PSU 750W 140MM FAN ATX, hows this??

I missed the 2X 5870 part and suggested the PSU for a single GPU config!!

The 750W Corsair looks good!! Enough for the build!!

Case: CMs usually have documentation for the VGA card size.. I'll try to find if element s takes the 5870, its a good case though I would argue that 922 is roomier!

Here are my findings: The HDD racks can be removed to accommodate longer cards

The 3870X2 is appx 10.4" and the 5870 about 10.7" (should not be an issue)

HDD: I prefer WD. But there are some really good ones from Seagate, Samsung and Hitachi (some of the Hitachis are a little noisy) too

RAM and CPU: Pls link me link me to the page!!

Mobo: Too many choices.. what features besides Crossfire? Want dual lan ports or stuff like that? Extreme Overclockability? What budget?

Edited by nns

The cheaper of the 2 i7 920s is $40 cheaper because it's a CO stepping. If the side of the box says S-Spec SLBCH it's CO. If it says S-SPec SLBEJ it's a DO stepping. DO stepping is generally a better overclocker than a CO stepping-but not always. I'd opt for DO stepping everytime given a choice personally. Each CPU is a gamble as to it's overclockability. Too many variables from system to system and chip to chip.