Does this sound like broken mother board or PSU?

I turned my machine off before I left for vacation. Shut it down gracefully, and then turned it off at the power supply.

I came back a week later.

Turned on the power supply and the green light comes on on my motherboard.

But when I hit the on button on my case, nothing happens. No fans start spinning, motherboard, PSU, or case. None of the wires were disconnected. The PSU was making a high pitched noise. This is a 500W Antec PSU which was highly recommended here the time I got it (a long time ago.)

Should I just by a new PSU at FRYs, connect it to everything, and see if it works?

(No need to tell me I am overdue for a new computer....)

Thanks,

Joey

I turned my machine off before I left for vacation. Shut it down gracefully, and then turned it off at the power supply.

I came back a week later.

Turned on the power supply and the green light comes on on my motherboard.

But when I hit the on button on my case, nothing happens. No fans start spinning, motherboard, PSU, or case. None of the wires were disconnected. The PSU was making a high pitched noise. This is a 500W Antec PSU which was highly recommended here the time I got it (a long time ago.)

Should I just by a new PSU at FRYs, connect it to everything, and see if it works?

try to start it with a screw driver just to double check the power button isn't broken, if it still doesn't work get a new psu (i believe that you can return them to frys withing 15 or 30 days in case that isn't the problem).

Is it dusty?, have you cleaned it ever? maybe there is a short from dust (not likely).

(No need to tell me I am overdue for a new computer....)

looks new enough to me?

Is it dusty?, have you cleaned it ever? maybe there is a short from dust (not likely).

Yes, it is pretty dusty inside. I used to clean it regularly, but that was a long time ago. Is it possible that blowing air over the dust can fix a short? Anywhere I might want to focus the dust on?

I will probably be looking at PSUs today.

Thanks,

Joey

It was most certainly PSU. Not sure if dust contributed or not, but I sure had a lot of dust. After blowing the case with compressed air, I think I am going to need a shop vac to clean up my den. :blink:

Well, I swapped the power supply with a power supply from a retired Pentium 2 machine, and tested just the mother board. It fired up great. But the old power supply wouldn't support my SATA drives, so it went back into retirement.

My higher dollar Antec Smartpower is now retired. I bought a $40 Antec Basiq. If this model is junk, please let me know ASAP. I don't need a high performance PSU for this old computer (although with my transperent case, it might be nice to have something cool) I just don't want junk. Or as Antec might call it, junq.

Joey