E-book readers

Andrewr05

I'm pretty interested in picking one up, does anyone on here have one that they can comment on?

I tried out a Sony reader the other day and its the first time I've seen how incredibly awesome those screens are.

I didn't try it in sun glare but from every single angle I tried the screen looked crisp and the text looked amazing.

E-book readers that I know of so far:

• AmazonKindle
  • Samsung Papyrus
  • Sony Reader
  • Fujitsu FLEPia
  • Hanlin eReader
  • Foxit eSlick Reader (yes its from the foxit PDF people)
  • Asus EeeBook

I'd love a Kindle DX but those suckers are pretty pricey, anyone else excited about E-book readers?

Anyone excited about E-ink screens in general?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up with a good old fashioned paperback!
Nothing at all, I thoroughly enjoy reading tangible books.

However I have a bunch of pdf files that I'd love to read on the job (I'm in a vehicle a lot during the week) and also I can get book a lot easier through a digital method than finding time to stop at the library once or twice a week.

:)

There's also the iPod Touch. :P It has eBook readers from Amazon (Kindle Store) as well as Barnes & Noble. Plus, it has the ability to open PDF files.

I've never been too impressed with the eBook readers that I see on the market. I'd prefer a device that can do more.

I wouldn't mind buying a Kindle, the problem is that it's so darn expensive for what it does. Now if I could get my law school textbooks on there, I would totally get one.

I find it much easyer to use an audiobook while on the go, i hate trying to read something while in a vehicle and bouncing all over the place :closedeyes: im currently listening to Halo: The fall of Reach on my creative zen X-Fi whenever i travel ;)

There's also the iPod Touch. :P It has eBook readers from Amazon (Kindle Store) as well as Barnes & Noble. Plus, it has the ability to open PDF files.

I've never been too impressed with the eBook readers that I see on the market. I'd prefer a device that can do more.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a device that can do more but I really really like the E-ink style display and I'm willing to give up other features for it.

Plus a dedicated E-book reader has a larger screen designed specifically for for reading text.

I wouldn't mind buying a Kindle, the problem is that it's so darn expensive for what it does. Now if I could get my law school textbooks on there, I would totally get one.
I agree the Kindle is pretty expensive (especially the DX) but its worth it to me.

I would like to get an e-reader. Waiting a bit to see if the price comes down in the next year or so.
Yeah, I might wait for the "holiday" season to see if anything else comes out or any of them get cheaper.

I find it much easyer to use an audiobook while on the go, i hate trying to read something while in a vehicle and bouncing all over the place :closedeyes: im currently listening to Halo: The fall of Reach on my creative zen X-Fi whenever i travel ;)
I've tried that (was reading errr... listening to The Stand a week or so ago, I need to finish it), its neat I suppose but its not the same as being able to read at your own pace.

Also it isn't as easy to go back and check on things that you've forgotten or things you didn't get and want to reread...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a device that can do more but I really really like the E-ink style display and I'm willing to give up other features for it.

Plus a dedicated E-book reader has a larger screen designed specifically for for reading text.

Just throwing the [cheaper] option out there for ya. ;) Kindle App was designed well by Amazon, has color, and easily readable. :P Though the Kindle App doesn't have access to Kindle newspapers, magazines and blogs right now, nor does it offer the 'Read-to-me'.

Like I said, I've not seen an eBook device that excites me. You spend so much on such a limited device. I'd go Netbook before a eBook.

The Plastic Logic eReaders probably have the best look going for them. Not that it really counts for anything. :lol: