New school laptop

Im looking for a new laptop for school.

I have 2500 for it

I need a good graphics card and a good Cpu

I have been lookking at some dells and a few acers but i would like to know what you guys think would be a good for all around school movie editing and graphics design

oh and i do not want to get a mac

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2500 for it

I have been lookking at some dells and a few acers but i would like to know what you guys think would be a good for all around school movie editing and graphics design

I was about to recommend a Mac until that last line. Seriously, it fits the bill perfectly...

We use dells exclusively here, never had too much of a problem and their warranties are pretty good. Don't know much about Acer and it's warranty, just don't go HP! Customer service nightmare!

HP and Dell are pretty much the only ones that let you customize AFAIK. Most others you have to purchase what they give you. That's another reason I'd go with dell, though you do pay a premium...

I'd go with a Dell or HP but with that amount you want to spend you could buy a very nice custom sager laptop.

I wouldn't worrie about about tech support to much unless your really not good with computers and have to call them all the time like for simple things.

I'd go with a Dell or HP but with that amount you want to spend you could buy a very nice custom sager laptop.

I wouldn't worrie about about tech support to much unless your really not good with computers and have to call them all the time like for simple things.

Unless hardware problems come into play. Then you void whatever warranty is on the system if YOU open it, and not a certified tech. Oh and HP has openly told one of my users the they are NOT responsible for anything the tech support they have tells the user. Even if THEY tell you to open the machine, it still voids the warranty. Yeah, that's GREAT support guys... :rolleyes:

$2500 can get you anything, $1000 even can get a very capable machine.

My first HP laptop had a 2.2ghz (T7500) dual core with a cheap 8400gs graphics but it still out rendered the quad core macs in my school. I got that for $1000, and now I have a Sager that cost me $1500 since I wanted a better graphics card (and have a P9500 2.53ghz dual core now) and other than learning that getting a better graphics card on a laptop is stupid, the computer is great. I would put a better CPU and the lowest discrete graphics card you can so you can still have great rendering performance but also won't kill your battery, I've under volted my CPU in my laptop but it didn't really get me any longer on my battery life since my stupid 9600GT M sucks my power no matter what.

I did both video editing and 3d modeling on my old HP and it did just fine with the puny 8400gs, I think bigger graphics memory would have helped but other than that video editing/rendering is all CPU based unless you use a program that has GPU acceleration.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I have 2500 for it

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...p;~lt=alienware $1750 with 260m

core i7 laptop, upgrade video card to 260m all processors available for it are fast as s___. dell is a great company for laptops.

for no gaming a dell studio is all you need or the stock settings on my link above

Edited by xchrissypoox

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...p;~lt=alienware $1750 with 260m

core i7 laptop, upgrade video card to 260m all processors available for it are fast as s___. dell is a great company for laptops.

for no gaming a dell studio is all you need or the stock settings on my link above

:withstupid: that looks to be a good direction, though I don't recommend gaming on a laptop since you'll be already too slow to play games when you get it. gaming on a laptop doesn't last long at all (if you have a nice high res screen)....you'll be able to play games decently but the battery life will not be pretty.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Is there any reason you don't want to get a desktop? Would you be traveling a great distance to school that would make a desktop inconvenient? I only ask because you could get a computer to fit your needs much cheaper as a desktop than a laptop.