New ATI 5850 video card is in stock

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just sold my HD 4850 X2 2 GB. My original plan was to get the new HD 5850, but those cards now again won't be available at Newegg until at least Wednesday, according to a customer service rep, meaning no PC for me until at least Friday. However, a friend of mine told me to go with EVGA's nvidia GTX 275 instead, oc' it to GTX 285 speeds and I am supposedly golden. But is that really true? Shouldn't I go for DirectX 11 opportunity now? I would like to know what your guys' opinion is...need to make a decision here quick :)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Apparently, Zipzoomfly has a couple in store. See here: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...odlist=celebros

Edited by endeavor

I just sold my HD 4850 X2 2 GB. My original plan was to get the new HD 5850, but those cards now again won't be available at Newegg until at least Wednesday, according to a customer service rep, meaning no PC for me until at least Friday. However, a friend of mine told me to go with EVGA's nvidia GTX 275 instead, oc' it to GTX 285 speeds and I am supposedly golden. But is that really true? Shouldn't I go for DirectX 11 opportunity now? I would like to know what your guys' opinion is...need to make a decision here quick :)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Apparently, Zipzoomfly has a couple in store. See here: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...odlist=celebros

umm....wow, definitely go for the 5850/5870 now, why'd you give up the 4850x2 2GB. That's already better than a 275/285, so I wouldn't downgrade

I was able to get over $200 for the 4850X2. Figured go with 5850, an upgrade that will essentially cost me $80 with tax. Going with the Gigabyte HD 5850, matches my board :)

Thanks for the quick answer, I figured as much, but always best to double check here!

EDIT: YIKES!! Zipzoom now also "out of stock"

Edited by endeavor

I am excited about getting mine in the mail on tuesday. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the 5870 for $380 and read that the 5850 is more than capable of handling things.

I am excited about getting mine in the mail on tuesday. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the 5870 for $380 and read that the 5850 is more than capable of handling things.

what were/are you running now, and what res?

an hp pavillion laptop with a 8600GM haha. The external is 1920x1200. Finally decided to order all the parts for the i7 setup.

You are going to notice the upgrade; a lot. :thumbs-up: