card for physics

unknownuser200

i was going to run a evga 260 core 216 by trading my cousin and putting an arctic accelero on it to make it silent... however... everyone says thats a waste and to get something smaller ... keep in mind this will be paired up with a 5870x2 in a month when the are released... anyway.. so i guess im looking at 9800gt's

saw this one ... liked it... but im not sure if its junk

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-065-_-Product

so then i realized its just a regular 9800gt with a artic fan on it.. i could say buy an evga 9800gt or 250 cheap and put a fan on myself

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/prod...=2_&mID=256

other options i thought of were

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-282-_-Product

passive cooling model

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-286-_-Product

and this one

thoughts? ideals? suggestions?

is ecs a generic brand? or am i just out of the loop.. i don't care in the terms of a brand name but more in the sense... i don't want driver issues for an experimental procedure. if anyones had experience with them.. thatd be great

I'd wait that month you're talking about and then decide.

Even more so since the 300 series may be released by then and even more of a reason not to buy a card for the sole, random use of physics.

Are you very interested in a game right now, that really depends on physics? I know there's a few games where it may be a deal breaker, so I might understand if it was one of these.

Otherwise, and of course this is my own opinion, there's no way I'd buy an ati card, and then buy an nvidia card for this sole, random use. If ati was way ahead in performance and cost, even factoring in the cost of an additional nvidia card for physics, I'd still have to be really hooked on a game that really needed it. And then, it would have to be some used, >$50 card from nvidia.

Unless you are benchmarking, and this is assuming physics even matter for benchmarking, I think it is hilarious that you would get a 260 for physics alone. Considering my 8800gts pretty much plays everything I throw at it pretty well and the 260 is slightly better.

Edited by Fight Game

yes games like darkest of days.. i see they do terrible when theres no physics present... reason i said about the 260 was merely because i could trade for it and not have to pay one sent... otherwise i would not waste the extra money.... also i could easily get rid of this 9800gt if came down to it for little loss to someone i know... sooo its just a matter of which one... if the ecs will cause me no issues then thats the way to go... reason im against the 300 series.. is because in the future i may decide i need more power (why i wouldn't know) but i may none the less and switch the physics card out for a second 5870x2 ..... none the less i do appericate the opinions soo please help a fellow occ member out lol

yes games like darkest of days.. i see they do terrible when theres no physics present... reason i said about the 260 was merely because i could trade for it and not have to pay one sent... otherwise i would not waste the extra money.... also i could easily get rid of this 9800gt if came down to it for little loss to someone i know... sooo its just a matter of which one... if the ecs will cause me no issues then thats the way to go... reason im against the 300 series.. is because in the future i may decide i need more power (why i wouldn't know) but i may none the less and switch the physics card out for a second 5870x2 ..... none the less i do appericate the opinions soo please help a fellow occ member out lol

You know that the 8800GT is the ssme card as the 9800GT right? as is a 8800GTS (512mb) is the same as a 9800GTX (which is just as strong as a 9800GTX+/250GTS)

that's ruining the whole point of saving money on a single card nvidia solution, so no the ECS doesn't look fine :rolleyes:

You're wrong, the ECS he listed is a 9800gt which can provide physics he wants.

Can he go with an 8800gt sure, but he didn't ask for that, sorry for

staying on topic and answering his question :rolleyes:

Edited by damian