Toyota issues huge recall over accelerator risk

Crazy_Nate

The 911 call was from a frantic passenger, trapped with family members in a runaway vehicle barreling down a California highway with a stuck accelerator and no brakes.

The call ended with someone telling people in the car to hold on and pray, followed by a woman's scream.

The high-speed crash near San Diego in August, involving an out-of-control Lexus ES 350 that killed four members of a family, led Toyota Motor Corp. on Tuesday to issue its largest-ever U.S. recall, involving 3.8 million vehicles.

The recall is intended to address problems with a removable floor mat that could cause accelerators to get stuck and lead to a crash.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=111&sid=1763305

Wow...just...wow.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a stupid recall.

Anyone with any sense would either shut the car off, shift into neutral, or, oh I dunno, CHECK TO SEE IF THE GAS PEDAL IS STUCK. That happens all the time on older cars because of cables getting caught, throttle returns breaking, and yes, the pedal getting stuck under the floor mat.

Issuing a recall over this shows just how ludicrously litigious our society has become. :rolleyes:

Well...I think the Lexus in question has a button, not a key. There's a special way to turn it off (like hold the button for 5 seconds). Not sure about the shift lever...it used to be a safety mechanism to always be able to drop into neutral.

Now, if our society was one that drove manual cars, you could probably bog down the engine in gear with the brakes and get it to stall...funny how a manual transmission is called "standard"... not in this country :mellow:

Tragic situation, but being an off-duty cop, I would think the driver would instinctively check those things, or worst case scenario would maneuver the car into a guard rail to kill the engine.

According to Toyota you can kill the engine by pressing the button for three seconds. It's a damn shame four people had to die over something so simple. :(

Edited by LoArmistead

That's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard, luckily I wouldn't be affected since I don't run floor mats in my cars.

I hate to be a dick but I'm not sad that one driver died (though I am down that the 3 other passengers did :() since it would be so easy to avoid an incident like this.

Turn the car off (unless it's one of those stupid push starts, in which case there still must be some way to "push off" or something)

If they couldn't turn it off, they could have put the car in neutral, if the motor blows, oh well it's Toyota's fault not yours. The human lives are more important than the life of the motor. (assuming this wasn't just the floor mat holding down the gas pedal, and it was actually a stuck throttle).

I had this happen with my dad's Ranger once, I was driving and I punched it and it wouldn't stop accelerating! I looked down and saw that the floor mat had the pedal stuck so I removed the floor mat. I lived so what is that drivers excuse?

I learned from traffic school that for stuck accelerator to put the car in neutral and if the brake fails use the handbrake or parking brake.

It might be quite hard to remember that stuff as a driver during a crisis but good grief, one would think the 911 operator should know this.

assuming this wasn't just the floor mat holding down the gas pedal, and it was actually a stuck throttle

I've had a stuck throttle before. Solution? Kill the engine. Can't do that? Shift into neutral/pop the clutch. Can't do that? FLOOR THE BRAKE PEDAL.

There's almost no car in existence with more horsepower than braking power. The only way your brakes would "go out" is if you just tried to slow down without hitting the brakes hard (eventually overheating them to the point of failure).

As much as it sucks that they died I think recalling vehicles for this is absolutely insane. We as a society sue over the most retarded things. Personal responsibility is dying. :/