What does resetting a router do?

Jump4h

Hi. So, I've been wanting to access my router settings because I want to open my ports, so Coop play in waw runs smoother. this isn't relevant. anyway, my dad gets some kind of free job internet, and he doesn't know the password to the router. What does the router exactly do and if I reset the router what exactly happens? I wanted to ask first since I dont want to break my internet. AFAIK, there is nothing there that impacts the internet itself. Note: I mean as a reset a hardware reset where you press the button for 10 seconds.

The router is a thomson speedtouch 546

Edited by Jump4h

Need more info......

If you reset it, you will get the default password, which is in the original box, and probably available in the user manual from the manufacturers website. But we dont even know what router it is so you'll have to google yourself for that part.

Also if it has a built in modem/is setup for a connection that requires login then you may need a username/pw in order to get it back up and running for the service. Or it could just work with no questions asked, you never know :lol:

A simple reset won't ask for your passwords again, it just reboots the router while keeping its settings. If you hold the reset button for 10-20 seconds, then it erases everything and starts from scratch

Edited by Zertz