Amazing Vista/Dell Combo

mojunikey7

So the advanced (I am replacing all instances of retarded with advanced now) computer I'm running is showing me more BSOD's. Ive tried a million different things to try & make this amazingly advanced computer actually restart without BSODing, but whether I update or not, It crashes. At first, I figured it was some really advanced proprietary Dell driver, So I updated all off the drivers on the machine, still got the Blue. Flashed the BIOS to no avail, then tried reinstalling all of the new drivers again, computer was still acting really advanced. Ive tried pretty much everything I can think of, as well as alot of the guys around the base (which is a base full of techs that work on submarines) & nobody can figure this stupid machine out. I havent been able to update vista for months, so I have a couple (ten or so) updates I need to install, but I tend to leave my computer on for months at a time now because Im afraid to re-boot!

Help?

I have a Dell XPS Studio 1340 with Vista Home Premium, the 1.0.0 Version of the A07 Bios (flashed this from A04) & also installed this new video driver because the old one was making my computer massively overheat. into this driver (8.16.0011.8681) for the 9400M G Chip. Need any more info, let me know.

if it blue screens everytime you restart, how do you get into windows?

It bluescreens when? after it loads, do you get to or past the vista splash screen?

Could it be a startup program? does it bluescreen when you boot in safe mode. (Press f8 over and over before the vistalogo after the system post, select start in safe mode)

to start off with

it blue screens every time I restart, meaning whenever I restart my computer, it blue screens, forcing me to do a system restore, even if haven't made any changes. Blue screened the few times tried to put it into safe mode, & it always BSODs right after the loader bar, but before the vista Microsoft circular logo comes up on the next screen. No Idea if it is a startup program, i could always try to restart it, then boot into safemode, but im afraid of it not taking & BSODing again.

have you tryed re installing the OS. yet?

Do you know how to disable all unnecessary start up proggies?

have you checked the event viewer for clues as to the programs involved?

does it ever blue screen after its been running?

Is it stable under stress/loads?

Havent tried reinstalling, but I have tried a repair install, which didnt work. Also have most unnecessary startup programs turned off, But I havent tried the Event Viewer.

Also, it doesnt BSOD when it's been running, & It's stable under loads/stress.

Havent tried reinstalling, but I have tried a repair install, which didnt work. Also have most unnecessary startup programs turned off, But I havent tried the Event Viewer.

Also, it doesnt BSOD when it's been running, & It's stable under loads/stress.

not being a laptop guy, means i have no good answer for you but it seems from what i've read this is a trend for the system you have in general. overall the consensus is that its an nvidia driver issue that is the culprit; according to these guys...

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19268687.aspx

have you tried rolling back your video drivers ?

i wish i could be more help

good luck with that

cj

B:)

Ill try memtest86, but I doubt that its a RAM issue, as it can run for weeks, & only BSODs when i restart, and does fine under loads, but ill try running it anyhow. Also, I've screwed around with the drivers a bit, & have a different driver than the one the machine came with (was always making the computer overheat) But Ill poke around for a bit & see If I can't turn up another driver.

have you tried rolling back your video drivers ?

Turns out it was this! Thank you for pointing that out to me. It turns out the driver I installed to "fix" the overheating problem just shuts down part of the GPU, which causes a BSOD (per what some guy on the dell forums said) Rolled back the driver to the A03 Version & now I have 3 successful reboots under my belt. Thank you for helping!

Turns out it was this! Thank you for pointing that out to me. It turns out the driver I installed to "fix" the overheating problem just shuts down part of the GPU, which causes a BSOD (per what some guy on the dell forums said) Rolled back the driver to the A03 Version & now I have 3 successful reboots under my belt. Thank you for helping!

I dont see how it couldve bluescreened when you booted safe mode then, that is strange?????

But i am glad you got it fixed.

i work on them dells daily...the cause of the Blue Screen is the Webcam...boot into safe Mode uninstall the webcam driver and the software and go to dells website install the new driver and that should fix your blue screen issue.