Urge To Build PC Again...What'cha Think?

MystoGators

Case

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $60

Power Supply

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail $110

Motherboard

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $170

CPU/Processor

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail $200 (Micro Center)

CPU/Processor Cooler

Prolimatech Megahalems Intel CPU Heatsink (LGA 775 / 1366) (AM2** / AM2+** / AM3**) SPECIAL PRICE!! HOT!!! $58 (www.frozencpu.com)

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan - Retail $15 (www.frozencpu.com)

Memory

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail $130

Video Card

EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $240

Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM $70

Operating System

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM $110

Comes out to around $1160. I'll be playing at either 1280x1024 (19 inch) or 1680x1050 (22 inch). I plan on pushing the 920 up to (at least) 3.8ghz.

Edited by MystoGators

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is this to be a gaming rig?

what is the budget or max money you can put down for the build?

not bad at all what is listed above, but how about these recommendations:

power supply and graphics card?

don't know about cooler master power supplies, but the one you listed is probably really nice...

however, that corsair linked for you in this post is fantastic and you really can't go wrong with it no doubt.

again, not sure of the budget here or if an hd5870 can even be found right now...

but the one linked is probably as mind blowing as it gets or will get for awhile and it should last for even longer.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

That's a nice power supply that you linked, but I want a modular one. And I stick with nvidia now; had some bad experiences with radeon cards in the past.

I don't really have a specific budget, although I would definitely keep it below $1500. I wouldn't even consider building right now unless I could sell my current rig (in my sig), but I just wanted some opinions on an idea.

Edited by MystoGators

I've never heard anything special about ASrock, seems they are more lower budget boards. I could be wrong and that one would work great but i'd be more inclined to get a Gigabyte, Foxconn, hell even an ASUS before I would get an ASrock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128375

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813186170

atm if I had to list my top 3 brands that i've dealt with they'd be Foxconn on top and DFI and Gigabyte a close tie for 2nd.

Doesn't Cooler Master make good power supplies? I've got a Zalman modular in my system right now, but it's only 600w. I would need at least a 700w, and I greatly prefer it to be modular.

That ASRock board is great; it's the highest rated 1366 board on Newegg. Besides the ability to have quad SLI/Crossfire, it has the same features as the more expensive boards.

Most of CM's power supplies are pretty good. They have their cheaper "value" ones too but the one you picked out is good. But as far as "I would need at least a 700w"...thats not true at all. Your current 600w could run that easily as long as it's a decent psu. I'm not too familar with Zalman's though.

And Newegg ratings? I'd take my roommate's dog's opinion on computer hardware over newegg reviews...and I hate that dog! lol