Build for in-laws

Fanatic

+1 go for good looks.. I did suggest stuff (Keyboard, mouse, monitor and case) earlier keeping this in mind.

BTW googled the Gigabyte mobo, its just an excellent no-frills mobo and has been successfully used to unlock a 720 at the least.

I understand how you feel here watching them overpay for junk but be careful here your good intentions could backfire.

Besides the stated obvious that you're to be the tech support on this it will also have your stamp on it forever. If the grandkids come over and download a virus while stealing some music online, it's your fault. If lightening strikes through the window, bounces off a lamp and strikes the computer, it's your fault. Somebody uses the DVD drive as a cup holder and spills 24oz of latte down inside, it's your fault. Everytime she turns it on Mom smiles. Everytime she doesn't understand how to do something on it she frowns, and thinks of you. She talks to your wife about her PC problems now and how she could have done better(OK that's a bit out there).

The point is that your intentions may be honorable but not worth the stress. I've been down this path and won't ever go there again. Just something to think about. I'd take them shopping for a pre-built system where you can guide them to something of value and enough power to meet their needs. Something with good tech support and a 1-800#

Last two times I built a computer for someone I left them with enough knowledge to do it themselves next time and fix whatever problems they may have.

Edited by tkrow21

I built my dad a Dual Core systemfor less than $500, and it runs (and will run for a long time) great.

Case: Rosewill R220-P-BK

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L

Proc: E200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz w/stock cooler

PSU: Rosewill RP500-2 500W

GFX: XFX GeForce 8500 GT

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 800

HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB

DVD: LG 22x DVD Burner

ETC: Rosewill Card Reader

I gave him my old (but still awesome) Sony 19" LCD and my MS wireless desktop. This computer will do everything he wants to do and then some.

Except for maybe the hard drive, I didn't go overboard at all. The Win7 WEI is 4.5 with the low score being the graphics card (he plays card games, if anything)

Well I thought I would let everyone know how this story ended.

I found out 3 minutes ago that she went out and bought another computer! I was not asked to go along nor was I asked for my blessing on the rig. So I guess it goes to show that with even the most honorable intentions people will still f things up.

No he hasn't I had my Aunt do the same thing and she still calls trying to get over the phone computer lessons or advice. Last time I just up and told her to call HP for customer support. Nicely of course.